NASA moves to Cloud, saves $1 million a year

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Anyone else think this is a bad idea?

NASA's move to the cloud saves $1 million a year | ZDNet

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't see why it is a "bad" idea.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    More and more government agencies are going this route (other than DoD). NOAA within the past year migrated their email to Google Apps.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    My wife works at U of M and they moved to Gmail email services. I think non sensitive information hosted externally is not a big deal.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    All I can say is that this is the organization that put men on the moon with less computer power than I currently have in my pocket. They are not fools. That article does not in any way give me cause for concern except for its potential meaning for jobs in IT over the long haul.

Do I need to be concerned if China gets a hold of the satellite images of Mars that they already have access to anyway? Or the Russians, who are flying us to space, get a hold of the ground based data used to improve disaster response that they likely already have access to anyway?
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    My wife works at U of M and they moved to Gmail email services. I think non sensitive information hosted externally is not a big deal.

This seems to be happening with a lot of online schools. I am attending Kaplan University (Online) and we just moved to gmail also.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Gotta agree with Robert on this one. They obviously would do due diligence and decide what could be placed in the cloud. Plus, given all the numbers and calculations they are running probably very cost effective to be able to bring up additional servers as needed. Also, I am a big supporter of letting NASA do it's thing. People don't realize some of the innovations that have come from them.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ehh a million for nasa is pennies. but interesting nonetheless
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Perhaps in the cloud....there is more space.

/sizzle ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    My God, It's full of stars! icon_cool.gif
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL nice 2001 reference!
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    My God, It's full of stars! icon_cool.gif
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math