Risk Management Professional PMI

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Application has been submitted. I am not content enough with the CAPM even though it is opening doors. Even though technicially I have enough hours to take the PMP I just don't feel I am complete enough to do the PMP. (I failed it once before I was over matched).

However I do have quite a bit of knowledge in risk management. Utilizing CBA and quality tools, Pareto's, fishbone diagrams, and upper and control limits. Some exposure to XY scatters, not enough though.

I'll keep you posted.

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck. You can do it!!!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks Paul

Starting dusting off the old PMP material again. Went straight for the decision tree analysis. I have read so much material this last year on PMI processes this shouldn't take more than 2 months of study. (I hope)
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Best wishes. Hopefully this additional win will help you on your path towards the PMP.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    Back at you with the PMP. I am waiting for my next project before I start to get into the PMP again. I learn the best while doing the work and studying at the same time. I had great success doing that with ST ITIL while redesigning a piece of asset management and desktop support business processes. That whole piece was critical to me learning, so even if I come up short and land a PM assistant position, rather than a project analyst or coordinator I will still have the real world knowledge.

On a side note I have well over 3000 hours scheduling so that might be another one I aquire as well. Where I work PMI - ASQ Six Sigma, and MBA's rule. Anything short of those certs/degrees in my space are pretty much worthless.

It is what it is I suppose. And the crappy part is ITIL has been just as instrumental in my development as PMI methodology.

C'est la Vie
    Acceptance letter has been recieved. Officially studying for RMP
    I've read the PMBOK 4 times already I am going to focus on Risk Management, Communication Management, and Procurement Management. It's not blown out as the PMP, but much more focused and from what I have seen just as hard. According to several PGMP, PMP, and RMP's they think the exams are about equal, so I am looking at 2 month study time. If this goes well and I can end up in a project role again and I am going to wait 1 year and reapply for the PMP.

The study guide I am using right now is RIsk Management Professional Exam by Abdulla J. Alkuwaiti RMP, PMP

Chapter 1 has been put to rest. The next chapters are fairly involved and should take sometime. I am hoping to work my way through one this weekend. Nothing crazy, but stay steady, 1-2 two a week should be a really good goal.
    Banged out 20 pages at lunch today. Went through all the Risk Management and Communication Management processes. A lot of this is nothing but review which is great. I have officially synthized the knowledge and now it's just a matter of reviewing and make sure I start to snap all the pieces into place. Almost like Gap Analysis :)

***Had a nice relaxing evening when I got home. My daughter went over to her friends house and my son passed out early, so I had 2.5 hours to myself. After knocking out some laundry and outside work I was left with about 1.25 hours. I spent that reading my Risk Management book and finished over 1/4 of the book. The concepts made sense a lot of this is review. I really do have a great understanding of the PMBOK and hope to pass this exam and then transition into a PM role. Even as an assistance, I'm humble and am willing to work my way back up.
    Cut through 10 pages and now working on inputs and outputs of risk and communication management.

I can't stress this enough, read the PMBOK casually before you even consider taking a PMI exam. I'd read it first and read it 2 times before even thinking about studying for the exam. It's critical and there are so many processes that synch into each other it's impossible to know them all until you really let to soak in and then hit the material again.

When I get ready for the PMP I will have studied so much I will literally do a 2 week review and take the exam.

Ordered: Practice Standard for Project Risk Management
    Hit chapter 6, I'm starting to get into some details that weren't covered in the PMBOK. I plan on moving through this book fairly quickly and then moving onto the Practice Standard for Project Risk Management. This is a book purchased from PMI.com's website.

My study plan is read the current book and then PS for project risk. Rinse repeat, hit the PMBOK 1 more time over Risk, Communication, Cost, and Scope. Might hit Procurement as well.

Another fun road ahead. No rushing this time.
    Working on the fun part now. Re memorizing Risk Management Processes. I am not rushing this, just taking my sweet ole time. No rush, but still chipping away usually daily.

It's a nice approach studying for a certification. Don't stress yourself out and make sure to learn the material.
  • jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think that is great advice!
    Just to follow up I finished RMP Exam study guide. It was relatively short but packed with great information related to Risk Management and Communication Management. I still have some lessons to go through, for memorization and the practice exam. I have another book from PMI coming in the mail, around 200 page Risk book and of course the PMBOK V4. I plan on going through the Risk Management book tomorrow at work and covering the processes memory plan at lunch. If time permits I will take the practice exam, it's only 50 questions I believe.

Next up I will read the communication and risk chapters in the PMBOK and then finish off with the PMI Risk Management Guide.

In the next day or so I will schedule my exam for no more than 3 weeks out.
    How many questions are on the RMP test? is it only 50?
    170 3.5 hours

Just as hard as the PMP. I've done quite a bit of research on the two exams. Risk Management covers all the processes with emphasis on Risk and Communication. I have quite a bit of experience with Risk Management from my last position so that should help out a lot. In regards to the PMP I had big knowledge gaps around Project Integration, Project Scope, and Quality. Most of my real world knowledge was around Cost, Risk, Procurements, Scheduling, and Communications.
    N2IT wrote: »
    170 3.5 hours

Just as hard as the PMP. I've done quite a bit of research on the two exams. Risk Management covers all the processes with emphasis on Risk and Communication. I have quite a bit of experience with Risk Management from my last position so that should help out a lot. In regards to the PMP I had big knowledge gaps around Project Integration, Project Scope, and Quality. Most of my real world knowledge was around Cost, Risk, Procurements, Scheduling, and Communications.

Oh ok I see...

Thanks for the info - I think i'm getting the bug again. ITIL is scheduled, then PMP-ACP hopefully by the end of the year - so maybe Risk will be after that - especially since i'm starting to manage risks in my current position.

After this, you should have those gaps from the PMP covered!
    I'm hopefully taking another position shortly. Trainer/Team Leader/Project Manager. No real title but things are looking promising.

I'll be more operational management after the trainer piece.

Either way it's all good! I'm excited to hear about the ACP. That is a very cool certification if you have the experience to go along with it.
    Scheduled for the 20th of July. I should be ready by then. Study mode here I come

Can you believe the exam is 530 as a member.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nothing like a looming date as incentive icon_wink.gif good luck.
    Yeah no kidding Paul :)

Thanks for checking in boss!
    PMP application has been filled out again and is awaiting the passing of the RMP.

:)
    Took last night off, but spent about an hour studying the study guide today. Once I am done reading this book again I am going through communication and risk in the PMBOK. I'll also have to run through Procurement again.

Then finish off with the PMI Practice Standards for Risk Management.
    I thought the PMBOK was dry, trying reding the practice standards for Project Risk Management.

I am going through this material now, I will be done by tomorrow I read a ton tonight. Then back into the PMBOK, really focusing on Risk, Procurement, HR, Communication, Cost, and Time.
    Just finished up the practice standard of risk management. It was a dry read but you could tell it was important.

Next up going through the PMBOK like mentioned above starting with Risk and then Communication.
    Went through about half of Risk Management tonight. Between that and the Access database I was building has been really enjoyable :)
    Kids and family life don't help with preparation :) O well no stress just going to do the best I can. I have been slowly reading back through the PMBOK V4 and will eventually take a 50 question practice exam. Then the test :)