Setting up Network Question

triplebenctriplebenc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all, I'm trying to configure a network in my apartment. I have 3 computers, a 1710 cisco Router and 2950 switch. I get my internet through a cable company. So I was wondering if this would work:

- first, connect the coaxial cable from wall to modem
- second, run a cat 5 cable from the modem to the e0 on the router
- third, run a cat 5 from the routers fa 0/1 interface to the switch
- fourth, set up nat port overload with the IP address givin to me by the cable company. Set up the e0 as ip nat outside and then set fa0/1 as ip nat inside.
- fifth, configure the router and switch so that my 3 computers connected to the switch will use the address i assign them w/ nat (probable 192.168.1.0 network)

Is this possible to do with a cable company rather than a telco or isdn?
Thanks!

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Well, if the cable modem doesn't perform NAT for you already, then yes, you'd have to perform it on the Cisco router.
  • triplebenctriplebenc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well right now i have them running on a linksys router, which I'm pretty sure does nat automatically, it's pretty much just plug it in and it works. So I guess I'll just have to try and see what happens when I use the cisco router.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Well right now i have them running on a linksys router, which I'm pretty sure does nat automatically, it's pretty much just plug it in and it works. So I guess I'll just have to try and see what happens when I use the cisco router

The 1720 isnt plug and go by no means at all,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/tk438/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

Heres a whole load of config examples for NAT for your network.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • triplebenctriplebenc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also have 2501 router, and was wondering if I used an ethernet tranceiever and put a cat 5 cable in it's serial 0 or 1. Think it'd work or not because it's not a serial cable
  • Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    Dude,

Forget about trying to set up ur network for now.
    You need to some basic reading on basic networking first.

Once/if you do that, you will be embarrased with yourself when rereading this thread.
  • Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    Disregard!!!

The previous post was supposed to be in the

"Noob question regarding lab setup" thread.

Sorry