Comments about the ASIS CPP Certification

paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
Earlier this week, I was trading email with someone and I noticed the CPP notation in their signature. So I looked it up. ASIS International: About ASIS

I had never heard of ASIS or the Certified Protection Professional before. I am curious if anyone has any experience with the ASIS body of knowledge and how it compares to ISC2 and/or ISACA.

Thanks.

Comments

• kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am an ASIS member who is also going the CPP route, but only because I want to show the Security industry that I am more diversified than just an IT and IT management background. My own experience had me assisting Project Managers as a sort of Project Manager for New US Embassy Compound physical security during the construction phase. I also have experience with physical security to meet DoD requirements for the Air Force and Army.
    Anyway, last year, ISC2 and ASIS teamed up for the International Security Conference here in Orlando, FL. They both see the benefits of working with each other, and promoting the same diversity I am pursuing. I have a friend who is a Round Table Member of ASIS, and he talked me into taking the CPP. From what others have shared with me who have both the CPP and CISSP, they told me that CPP is 10 times easier.
    AS far as whether ASIS or ISC is better known, ASIS is THE organization to belong to for industrial and financial l security outside of the USGOV. Join ASIS if you have $125 to spend for the year membership, then read the magazines, join the ASIS tech talks on LinkedIn, and you will see that there is some real James Bond Super-Tech stuff that even impresses me, and I have seen and installed what I THOUGHT was some of the latest and greatest in physical security and surveillance that the USGov had to offer. That ASIS conference shows you that there is NOWHERE you can hide any more. I would have loved to drop one of my conspiracy theorist friends into that conference, as I'm sure they'd stroke out!
  • kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's a physcial Security/surveillance cert. Ever since the ASIS/ ISC International Security Conference in Sept 2011 here in Orlando that I attended, I see the benefits of diversifying. The stuff I saw in there would make a Conspiracy Theorist wet their pants. The truth is sometimes sometimes FAR more frightening than fiction.

It's getting to where committing ANY crime will be problematic for anyone if they have a detective on the case who has the time to investigate. 'Nowhere to run to, baby...nowhere to hide' as the song goes. If we were truly InfoSec people, we'd toss our smartphones, pay cash for a prepaid cell from a store with no surveillance of ANY kind, NEVER use plastic, even the prepaid debit cards sold at WalMart and AMSCOT, not to mention LinkedIn, facebook, etc.

I'll say this much I learned at the Orlando ASIS / ISC2 convention...Have even ONE picture of yourself where you face the camera reasonably close on ANY publicly available site, now or in the past (including deleted pics), and Facial Recognition software owned by Google and Microsoft stores said image/s and you are TAGGED along with any information about yourself that their spiders can find. And in the HIGHLY unlikely event that you have somehow successfully kept your images out of public sites, there is a little known clause in a certain provision that allows same software to access and store images on public street cams regularly streamed on the Internet.
    What a modern, fascinating age we live in.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on ASIS. I did get the impression from the web site that their PSP was more about physical security. The CPP body knowledge seemed to include a large percentage on physical security as well - most of the topics do not seem to overlap ISC2 and ISACA so it does seem to complement well.

Which part of financial services were you referring to - banking? That would make sense. I have worked in the investment management sector of financial services for longer than I care to admit but I hadn't come across it before - but physical security is less of an issue.

I'll certainly have to join up and take a closer look.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've been thinking about physical security a lot lately, especially after seeing a speaker talking about how security is starting to shift to JOAT. As it always goes, they get physical access and you're done.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @the_Gringh - I have always believed that being a joat in security is critical at senior levels. Would you happen to know if there is a recording of the speaker presentation that you referenced?
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Brad Bowers was the speakers name, he's the Senior Security Operations Manager for the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia. His presentation was on Measurement and Signature Intelligence (MASINT), but he spoke for about 10 minutes on various security positions and how management was expecting more from their personnel. Also, that personnel were expecting more of themselves as to move up and around requires more then being a one trick pony. Unfortunately, I do not have a recording of his presentation, but if you Google you can find some stuff of his out there.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff