Options

DNS Zone Delegations

DB77DB77 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone have any labs or link to documents on doing a DNS zone delegation on Server 2008 R2 from start to finish?

Comments

• Options
    hennrizzlerhennrizzler Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You mean something like this?:

Create a Zone Delegation

And this for the theory:

Understanding Zone Delegation
  • Options
    DB77DB77 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the links hennrizzler.

I had previously looked at those two but I am looking for something more specific. Something that breaks down in practical terms when you would use delegations vs stub zones.

Also the MS Press book walks you through creating a delegation and it says that the parent zone must contain an NS record and a A host record for an authorative dns server in the deelgated child domain. However when I create the child zone on the dns server in the child domain and then create the delegation on the parent zone on the parent server these records do not automatically get created in the parent zone. There is a folder for the delegated zone which just has an ns record of the child domain dns server. Yet I am still able to resolve queries for hosts in the child domain from hosts in the parent domain using nslookup. According to the ms press book the delegation is not complete because the parent zone does not have the a record and ns record for the child domain dns server.

Can someone please explain.