Options

thinking of taking the CIW - Network Technology Associate this weekend?

Thinking of taking this test MTA windows server fundamentals, CIW Web Foundations and 70-680.. What do you guys think? Is the network technology associate even worth it..
WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.

Comments

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    You already have N+ and MTA. What's the point of another entry-level certification?
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I looked at you signature and it looks like you're going to be attending WGU. Just wait until then, as the degree track will most likely net you A+, Project+ (sort of worthless), Security+, the CIW Web Associate and possibly the MCTIP and CCNA.

Obtaining entry-level certs is worthless in the interim. There is no job market value in the Microsoft fundamental or ANY CIW exams.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    There is no job market value in the Microsoft fundamental or ANY CIW exams.

There's some marginal value for CIW if you're going into web design, as I have seen a few job postings ask for it. Other than that, no, nothing, zilch, nada.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    There is no job market value in the Microsoft fundamental or ANY CIW exams.

There's some marginal value for CIW if you're going into web design, as I have seen a few job postings ask for it. Other than that, no, nothing, zilch, nada.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    petedude wrote: »

Web Design, but he wants to take the Web Associate, which has just a little HTML on it. It seems like he's wasting his time. If he's got the time between now and when he starts WGU, he should invest in a more intermediate certification than these that are in 0 demand.

It sounds like he's trying to pad his resume, but MTA this, CIW that isn't going to net him too many hits on Monster.com, LinkedIn or whatever. Just chill and wait for WGU, which will get you some more well-known certs and a degree, which will make you a lot more competitive in the long term.
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    actually guys I'm not really padding my resume. Im knocking out the fundamental level stuff before I even attend WGU. I just want the degree as quick as possible. Ill let wgu pay for the more advanced stuff such as CCNA security and MCITP. I got a cool job. They reimburse me on passing certs under WGU anyway. So it's not really costing me anything and it gives me something to do on my downtime which my boss encourages rather than surf the net. So I'm taking advantage of it..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Makes sense, if it gets you through your degree faster I am all for it.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    ...There is no job market value in the Microsoft fundamental...

I disagree, I'm an IT manager and for certain positions I do list the MTA or equivalent on the person spec sheet (as well as other things).