Self studying not producing results...possible options

seansabianseansabian Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey now, well I failed the ICND 2 for the umpteenth time. Maybe self study is not working for me. I have scored well into the 80% range on every category except routing 67%. However I have not been able produce those scores on a single attempt. I'm a network admin work experience on Cisco gear in a Cisco networking environment (switches 6509, 4948, 3750, routers 2800, 2900, ASA 55xx, Wireless ctrl, and access points). I work on this equipment everyday. No one else at work has my job title or duties. My boss said I don't need the ccna. But I would like to know what I'm missing. So do you think the Cisco Network Academy can help me fill in the gaps and pass the ccna? I don't want to attempt the ccna again with only self study under my belt.
~ Sean

Comments

• Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    Have you thought about building a home lab?
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Honestly OP,

67% isnt great but, it depends on how cisco is "scoring" the category

You obviously know IGP/Static Routing for your job, but the problem might be the wording of the questions - what I would suggest... is getting your self a copy of CCNA: Exam Cram and take the 802 composite exam.. I guarantee you'll pass.
  • seansabianseansabian Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @Brain_Power I have a home lab (three 1721 routers, two 2950 switches, and a 2509 AS). And I practiced the 100 CCNA labs on packet tracer and the home lab. I labbed my problem areas twice (nat, acl, eigrp, ospf, ppp, hdlc).

@drkat No I know 67% isn't great but I was starting to think along those lines too (maybe I'm not getting the wording of questions). Thanks for your help. I will do that.
    ~ Sean
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    seansabian wrote: »
    @Brain_Power I have a home lab (three 1721 routers, two 2950 switches, and a 2509 AS). And I practiced the 100 CCNA labs on packet tracer and the home lab. I labbed my problem areas twice (nat, acl, eigrp, ospf, ppp, hdlc).

@drkat No I know 67% isn't great but I was starting to think along those lines too (maybe I'm not getting the wording of questions). Thanks for your help. I will do that.

I'm thinking that might be it. I've been doing it on the job for a few years and even I failed the CCNA twice before I passed it.. ya know why? Because I suck at tests :) I need things kinda explained to me like I'm in 2nd grade sometimes.. and wording messes me all up. Just keep trying, you'll do it :)
  • georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    You haven't mentioned what resources you're using to study for the more theory/knowledge based questions. Knowing the buttons to push and the commands to type is valuable and necessary, but understanding the theory behind what you're doing is important as well.
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    Use CBTNuggets, Read Todd Lamlle's book, You'll get it. :)
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not to offend here, but I'm offering up my suggestion: Could it be that with years in the field you took the test lightly, and perhaps haven't been as dedicated as possible in your studying? You've worked with the technology for years; you have proven you can make a career out of this.

I would definitely grab 101 Cisco Labs, watch some CBTnuggets and hash it out that way. I don't think you need to spend money on coursework.
  • m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    From what I remember, CCNA only cover the basic of routing, right? It doesn't go into multi-area OSPF, or redistribution, or even BGP? If that's the case, it should be quite easy for you to focus on routing and get that score up. If you're scoring in the 80% mark, and is getting low score in routing, that should be enough to get you a pass.
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Get the Boson test, It'll get you into the test mind-frame. It does seem that your problem is with the test rather than the material. If you can pass the Boson practice test, you'll ace the real thing. :)
  • seansabianseansabian Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I appreciate the help and suggestions. I just want to share my self study resources for the record.

CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam 640-802), Third Edition, Odom
    CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam 640-802), Second Edition, Odom
    CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, Lammle
    ExSim-Max for Cisco 640-816 ICND2, Boson
    Cisco CCNA Study Guide v2.51, Aaron Balchunas (routeralley.com)
    101 Labs for the Cisco CCNA Exam (Kindle Edition)
    Cisco CCNA ICND2 640-816, CBT nugget videos
    I have created a couple of hundred flash cards.
    Three 1721 routers for labbing
    Two 2950 Switches for labbing
    One AS router to lab easier LOL = )

Over the last six months I have read the books, done the labs and cross read topics for greater clarity. Maybe I'm not a great tester. I have never blown a cert away. What I mean is I generally pass by 10 to 20 points. And I have had to retake certs I failed (ICND2,TCP/IP, MS Word 2003 Expert, Windows 2000 Pro, and Security+).

Even though I have not passed the CCNA I'm still encouraged. I have learned a ton of stuff that I did not know. And all this studying has made me better at my job.
    ~ Sean
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Took me 3 attempts to tackle ICND2. Don't give up man. I feel your pain and know exactly what you're going through.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Boson Exam Sim is what I'd suggest. It'll allow you to practice, and the answers are random (A may not be A next time). The questions are harder than the exam, and pretty much can point out where you need to work on. Going through the questions with the mind set of "Why is B not correct" worked for me.

Doing this every day, You'll just need to sharpen the skills.

I don't think you'd need to go about Net Academy.

I've only self-studied. I passed. I failed my ICND2 (badly I might add). Made it next try.

I'd like to have your job though :D
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    1st key is what are you doing for self study- if you mean just ciscopress books I would get a cbt. I took icnd1 twice before I got Chris Bryant Ultimate CCNA online book. just a new way at looking at stuff. For my ICND2 I went with his video's they were great, he used a live lab and labed everything.

Next you need to either use a good Network Simulator or real equipment, I used Ciscopress CCNA network simulator. Everything Chris went over I would lab,lab and lab again.

Another good thought in cisco.com you can get into a online study group.

Get the information in you so walk into the exam saying I GOT THIS, instead of thinking hope I do better.

The cbt I talked about from TrainSingle is $197 and the sim is about $100 not cheap but its the price of taking the test twice.
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
  • pseniorpsenior Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think you should be getting at least 90% on all practice tests before you go for the real thing. You have a lot of good study materials. If you are doing poorly on routing (67%), then you need to memorize a lot more of the details regarding RIP, EIGRP, and OSPF.

It's a tough exam and I don't know if I could have prepared properly for it if I was employed.
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    seansabian wrote: »
    I appreciate the help and suggestions. I just want to share my self study resources for the record.

CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam 640-802), Third Edition, Odom
    CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam 640-802), Second Edition, Odom
    CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, Lammle
    ExSim-Max for Cisco 640-816 ICND2, Boson
    Cisco CCNA Study Guide v2.51, Aaron Balchunas (routeralley.com)
    101 Labs for the Cisco CCNA Exam (Kindle Edition)
    Cisco CCNA ICND2 640-816, CBT nugget videos
    I have created a couple of hundred flash cards.
    Three 1721 routers for labbing
    Two 2950 Switches for labbing
    One AS router to lab easier LOL = )

Over the last six months I have read the books, done the labs and cross read topics for greater clarity. Maybe I'm not a great tester. I have never blown a cert away. What I mean is I generally pass by 10 to 20 points. And I have had to retake certs I failed (ICND2,TCP/IP, MS Word 2003 Expert, Windows 2000 Pro, and Security+).

Even though I have not passed the CCNA I'm still encouraged. I have learned a ton of stuff that I did not know. And all this studying has made me better at my job.

to be honest I'd suggest looking at Chris Bryant's material on his website. He has a CCNA series as well as ebook. I would ignore Odom's books because in my opinion they just lead to a lot of confusion.
    I had no networking experience (didn't even know how routing or switching worked) at all but used Chris Bryant, CBT nuggets, router alley and Boson and these resources got me through both exams.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.