SPSE - SecurityTube Python Scripting Expert

I know the_grinch is currently taking this. Does anyone else have experience with this course? I think after I get my CISSP results (assuming a pass), this is my next venture...prior to pursuing OSCP.

Comments

• onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I've got the course, but am not going to start working on it till after I finish "Learn Python The Hard Way." Which is essentially a series of scripts/apps to write. I figured it would lay a nice foundation for the SPSE. The HTML of that book is free btw.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    +1...Good recommendation. I've been working through Python for Dummies, but I'll never turn down a free resource without checking it out first.
    Thanks Hutch. I'll put something up about the course (spse) when I'm finished with it as well. The Learn Python The Hard Way is really just 50 exercises (with extra credit) that walk you through python, from the beginning.

Yeah...I already started...on exercise 4 now. I wanted to get the basics down before doing the SPSE course anyways. That was the reason that I got the Python for Dummies book. But honestly, I already like this better.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Do you like the course so far?
    When I said "I already started"...I was referring to Learn Python the Hard Way, not SPSE. Personally, I kinda have mixed feelings about Learn Python the Hard Way. It does a good job of isolating one concept at a time. But it doesn't really teach you anything. Instead it just hands you a short program and its like "hey...figure out why this does this..."
    Oh gotcha. I was thinking about going straight into the course with little python experience.
    I'd probably do the same thing...but I'm not touching anything until I take my CISSP course in August and pass the exam. I've actually heard that the first module that covers Python basics is actually very thorough. From my understanding, the course is very doable, even with no python experience. Let me know how it goes for you if you decide to take it.
    I agree about Learn The Hard Way. It's repetitiveness is it's strong point. The "extra credit" essentially tells you to go out and learn what you just coded. Still, for me personally, I think I'll get more out of SPSE knowing some Python going in.

Well, one of the perks of SPSE is that there is no time constraint. So if you feel you are lacking in one area, getting sidetracked to catch up isn't going to cost you money like it would for something with a timed lab subscription like OSCP.
    Any updates on how the course is going? Would you recommend it?
  • contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like the course so far. The material is easy to follow and Vivek does a good job tying everything together. My challenge has just been finding the free time during the last few weeks to stay on track. I don't regret the money I spend on the course. I have found that what I have learned so far in the course has allowed me to grab other peoples python scripts and understand what is going on behind the scenes and how to tweak the scripts for what I need. I can say that it is nice to look at a script and say "I get it" vs change stuff and hope I get lucky.

HTH
    ~Cp
    Thank you for your review so far. I was thinking about taking the course but I decided to go through learnpythonthehardway.org first and then possibly SPSE. So far I am really enjoying LPTHW because each lesson is straight to the point. In 3 hours ,I went from barely understanding [print "Hello World" to understand a good amount

from sys import argv script, filename = argv txt = open(filename) print "Here's your file %r:" % filename print txt.read() print "Type the filename again:" file_again = raw_input("> ") txt_again = open(file_again) print txt_again.read()

I would definitely recommend LPTHW to anyone who wants to learn Python. There are 53 lessons, and they are usually short and sweet. I look forward to hearing more reviews about the SPSE course.
  • Killj0yKillj0y Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have anymore reviews for SPSE? Great review so far which is cool. I probably will try to take it at the end of the year. Hopefully the price does not go up.
    Certifications: GPEN, SMFE, CISSP, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, Security+, CEHv6, MCSE+Sec:2003
  • JinverarJinverar Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have enroled in the class, I did LPTHW first and half of the udacity course. Only on the 1st module but the review I have so far is excelent. He did start more at a intermediate programming level. Currently he also references other C+ programers would do this or that. I am a beginner but still grasping it from the other two courses.
    Jinverar, TSS
    So I just started video 5 of the first module. And at this point, I can't say much for the security aspects of the course, but the intro to Python is awesome. Very thorough and yet structured in such a way that it is easy to understand and retain. I tried to do LPTHW and I can say that this is a WAY better option. I am not a CompSci guy. My degree is in information systems, and pretty much the only language that I have ever really learned (besides dabbling with Java) is SQL. So the fact that I am picking this up so easy is a real testament to how effective this course is. Hope everyone is making good progress.
  • Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    A friend of mine is using CBT Nuggets for python and he seems to be happy with his purchase!
    See the intro video on YouTube to get an idea about the course
    Introductory Nugget: Python Programming Python Language - YouTube