what is a good router to learn the CISCO IOS on?

gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello gang. I just had a quick question about routers/switches. I wanted to know if there was a good cheap router that was ideal to learn Cisco IOS on, preferably those that you've particularly had experience on.

I'm watching CBT nuggets (by the way, Jeremy is great and explains the concepts very well) and he mentions the 2501 CISCO router. I saw it online for $30.00 and I don't think that it would be a bad investment, especially since I'm going to probably shoot past the CCNA and try for a CCNP.

Just wanted some opinions... thanks!
Goals for 2015: CCNP

Comments

• auosauos Member Posts: 186
    Go to 2611XM with 12.4 IOS.
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    The thing with the 2500's is that they're pretty old. You would get comfortable with the IOS and it could get you through most of the CCNA, but note how I say most. There are somethings it won't support even on the CCNA, let alone the CCNP. First that comes to mind is router on a stick, intervlan routing config.

I was able to use 1841's for my CCNA when I had a class, but their a bit over $30. I'm not TOO up to date on hardware models, so I'm afraid to make an over-what-you-need recommendation. I'm pretty sure some people use 2610's for their CCNA and I'm pretty sure it supports all CCNA commands, but I'm not sure if you need to upgrade the hardware in it or not. To answer your question though, the 2500's could still very well be used as a really cheap resource for getting comfortable with the IOS and most of the CCNA.
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    I personally don't see the point of just buying 1 router, I wouldn't buy any equipment unless I was going to make a whole lab.

If you can get packet tracer or download GNS3 and find a Cisco IOS 12.4 image for any of the routers on GNS3 then this will let you know the CLI.. Here is a video of Jeremy talking about GNS3 CBT Nuggets
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    26xx series are CHEAP and can do MOST things you need to know for CCNA.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys.... I have GNS3 now and found a Cisco IOS and I'm good to go... set up my first lab and it was great to finally get my hands on the IOS...
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    When I first started studying for the CCENT I wanted to build a lab because with my track record i'd continue past the CCNA. (I have way too many Microsoft Certifications) While i was waiting on UPS/FEDEX/USPS to deliver every thing i bought off ebay for this lab i tried the GNS3 and it was ok... there is nothing like using real Cisco gear. If you think you're going to go past the CCNA start building the home lab now it will save you frustration later on. or at least in my opinion
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
    EV42TMAN wrote: »
    When I first started studying for the CCENT I wanted to build a lab because with my track record i'd continue past the CCNA. (I have way too many Microsoft Certifications) While i was waiting on UPS/FEDEX/USPS to deliver every thing i bought off ebay for this lab i tried the GNS3 and it was ok... there is nothing like using real Cisco gear. If you think you're going to go past the CCNA start building the home lab now it will save you frustration later on. or at least in my opinion

I wish I had the money to start investing in my lab gear (I definitely want it) but I don't have it all together yet. I'm hoping I can save a bit more money once I start my gig with the gov in a few weeks so I can start picking up some equipment. What equipment do you have and recommend?
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    I think I'm able to just enjoy the simplicity of GNS3 just because I've spent a bunch of time with the real equipment this past year. Had access to pretty much as many 1841's and 2500's and 2950's/2960's as I wanted every day for a year. :p I was also able to imitate a Frame Relay provider with some ADTRAN Atlas 550s. So yeah, saving a bunch of money that I don't have to begin for a virtual trade off sounds nice to me. icon_thumright.gif
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2691 with 12.4 or a 3640 series will be good for ccna and ccnp
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm going to probably shoot past the CCNA and try for a CCNP.

You can't do that, the CCNA is required. icon_thumright.gif
    alan2308 wrote: »
    You can't do that, the CCNA is required. icon_thumright.gif
    Sorry for the miscommunication. I meant I would get the CCNA but shoot past it and try to get the CCNP as well. Even if you could, I wouldn't dare lol... I'm not in the business of wasting time and money. Baby steps at a time lol
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pfft. Why stop with CCNP. Just got the gauntlet and get your CCIE :P

You don't waste money if you learned something from it.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams