Ccnp lab

kemar1014kemar1014 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would like to create a Home Lab for CCNP and CCNA voice. what routers I would need and switches. Im thinking a buying a small ASA firewall of ebay for $100. Is that good too? I could use it to learn VPN and firewall set up.

Comments

• dtrujillo63dtrujillo63 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend getting at least two layer 3 switches (3550s are pretty cheap) and at least one if not two layer 2 switches (2950s). As for routing, you can buy a few 2621xm routers or use GNS3.
    Completed: CCNA - CCNP

Studying: Preparing to start for CCIE
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    Pretty much what dtrujillo said. For ROUTE, GNS3 would be a much cheaper option considering that you'll probably want five or six routers. Keep in mind, though, that GNS3 isn't really desirable(not really functional iirc, at least not without a LOT of problems) for VOIP. So if you're going to buy any router while wanting to study for voice exams, make sure to get something with Call Manager Express. I've never messed with VOIP but I think that people prefer one of the 1700 model routers. Can't tell you which one specifically though.
  • kemar1014kemar1014 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the advice guys
  • fiftyofiftyo Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    elderkai wrote: »
    Keep in mind, though, that GNS3 isn't really desirable(not really functional iirc, at least not without a LOT of problems)
    Imo, GNS3 runs fine over linux, it ate too much memory running over W7. With that said its far from perfect indeed, but it should work just fine for ccnp route, if you set it up correctly.
  • mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    I second that, although I dont use GNS3 graphical gui I use dynamips. Runs like a dream both on win 7 64 bit and ubuntu) I use ubuntu and I have tested both operating systems and I'd even say win 7 64 outperforms linux. Either way it works a treat and I have no issues and spend zero time troubleshooting faults with it. Id encourage using it as you will be able to do large BGP and route redistribution labs for CCNP ROUTE that you would not be able to do it you had real gear ( unless you have a heap of real routers ). The more routers the better for learning

• elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    fiftyo wrote: »
    Imo, GNS3 runs fine over linux, it ate too much memory running over W7. With that said its far from perfect indeed, but it should work just fine for ccnp route, if you set it up correctly.
    It doesn't really eat up that much memory for me even with multiple routers on W7. Runs very well with little to no problems, really. When I said that, I was referring to how it lacks VOIP support since he said he wanted to pursue the voice spec for the CCNA as well as R&S CCNP. :)
  • mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    true, for voip that is a whole new ball game :P