Red Hat Certified Architect (RHCA) questions..

YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
Does anyone on here actually know an individual who holds this certification? This certification includes 5 exams after the RHCE, which are $3200 a piece for the classes, I can definitely see why few people hold this certification.

What's your opinion on the value of the RHCA?

Comments

• onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Don't know anyone. I know a few who are multiple RHCE (e.g., 3,4,5), but not any RHCA. I looked it up on indeed and it does get some hits categorized with the RHCDS and MCA.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeah I've looked on Indeed before and only 44 hits came back for the RHCA.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just this past weekend I met an RHCA (he was giving a presentation on SELinux). He also happened to be a RedHat Chief Architect... Very bright fellow indeed.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Isn't it basically the RedHat equivalent to CCIE or MCM?

If you take that into consideration, RHCA is actually pretty cheap. $16K would be on the low end to achieve MCM or CCIE.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Yes I know some people who have it. Some are Red Hat employees, and others are work for training centers.

If you work for a Red Hat channel partner, and you do support/implementations, then it makes sense. Not that it's a difficult cert, it is expensive, and you need to have experience in specif areas. For example: How many SELinux implementations have you done so that you get certified in SELinux?

I think RHCE is enough for Unix/Linux certifications. Get hands-on experience, and diversify your experience. Work in busy environments. Work for RedHat/Sun/IBM partners to get more exposure. I don't think technical certifications beyond RHCE in the Unix/Linux world are important.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm an exam away from the RHCDS. I know a few RHCA's but they either work for Red Hat or training companies. I'd rather work towards the RHCA over the course of 5 years instead of having to re-take the EX300 every few years to stay current.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm working with a couple of RHCA's right now to build out the environment at my workplace. What did you want to ask them?
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    azjag wrote: »
    I'm working with a couple of RHCA's right now to build out the environment at my workplace. What did you want to ask them?

I would ask them how much they make. lol
  • dabadaba Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Or was it worth it
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would ask them how much they make. lol

His response: Get the cert and find out.
    daba wrote: »
    Or was it worth it

His response: Yes
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    How do they feel about their ability now in comparison to when they only had the RHCE?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness