Best way to study for CCNA?

gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
Im starting to study for CCNA and I have few books but no lab. what else can i do to prepare for this exam?icon_study.gif
WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.

Comments

• jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You won't pass without doing labs. Do a search for "free cisco labs".

If you need a Cisco simulator, try NetSimK at NetSimK.com - CCNA Network Simulator
  • dirtyonekanobidirtyonekanobi Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As stated you'll definitely want labs, of some sort. Packet tracer is a very useful tool for CCENT/CCNA study, and it can give you a fairly good idea of router & switch configuration, and familiarity with the software used on Cisco tests. There are several sites that offer free lab rentals: Free Cisco Catalyst Switch Lab & Free CCNA Workbook » The Stub Lab Schedule Portal come to mind. Cisco also offers free access to Cisco equipment also.

There's plenty of free options to gain experience on real equipment, if you're dealing with really limited funds. But, you do need hands-on equipment experience to pass almost every Cisco exam
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    Lab. You gotta lab, man. Buying a home lab can be expensive, though, I know. Especially for a few routers. Have you thought about getting just a copy of a 12.4T IOS and using GNS3 as an alternative? That'd be the closest to real labbing you could get besides actually having the equipment.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Look on eBay or CL, you'll find great deals. Lab doesn't have to be expensive, you can pick up 2620 routers (XM is not a must have) for under $40 shipped most of the time, I've seen them as little as $26 shipped. 2950-12 port switches are cheap as well, about 30-35 shipped.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the CCENT and CCNA you don't need a proper lab setup. If you can afford it and have the space then go for it. You can get very good practice using Cisco's Packet Tracer. I passed both exams using this approach
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    Packet Tracer my friend, lab is to much work imo, maybe for NP then
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    GNS3 really isn't much more work that PT. I just don't like how PT doesn't react the exact same way a real router would because it's a simulation. I used it at one point in my class at the beginning of last year, but I was one of the only ones who didn't like it. If it works, though, I guess it works. You have to be enrolled in Cisco Academy to get it, though.
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll add my uncertified two cents and say that you definitely should check out the GNS3 everyone is recommending. I have it and it's a lot of fun and it reacts the way it should. I don't have the funds for a whole lab now (even though I have been on craigslist.org and there are tons of people wanting to give away their cisco labs for cheap, I'm talking two 2960's and a console Dell laptop for $60.00) but I will be getting one soon...
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    You Americans are lucky with your eBay prices and such, in the UK they are so much more.

Like our 3550 switches cost 3 times the amount of the 2950s icon_sad.gif $150 ish for the 3550!
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    oli356 wrote: »
    You Americans are lucky with your eBay prices and such, in the UK they are so much more.

Like our 3550 switches cost 3 times the amount of the 2950s icon_sad.gif $150 ish for the 3550!

my thoughts exactly our friends across the pond seem to have it easier when it comes to that.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.