Shall I?

JayrodEFJayrodEF Member Posts: 111 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey All,
I've been mulling over the idea of the CCIE R&S journey and think I'd like to set it as a goal for myself. I recently received my CCNP and have about 3 years experience dedicated to networking, about 5 in IT altogether. All in all, not a lot of time 'in' IT compared to a lot of individuals. I'm 31 and was thinking about placing my goal of CCIE when I'm 35. I've purchased a number of books off the reading list and have started going through them, but was curious if folks out there have a similar time horizon/goal at the same stage of life I'm at right now. I've thoroughly enjoyed my CCNP studies and my career in networking thus far and just get more psyched when I see what's coming down the pike. If I end up pursuing this, would folks here recommend passing the written as soon as possible to get motivated even if it means having to take it again before the lab attempt(s)?

Comments

• NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    JayrodEF wrote: »
    Hey All,
    I've been mulling over the idea of the CCIE R&S journey and think I'd like to set it as a goal for myself. I recently received my CCNP and have about 3 years experience dedicated to networking, about 5 in IT altogether. All in all, not a lot of time 'in' IT compared to a lot of individuals. I'm 31 and was thinking about placing my goal of CCIE when I'm 35. I've purchased a number of books off the reading list and have started going through them, but was curious if folks out there have a similar time horizon/goal at the same stage of life I'm at right now. I've thoroughly enjoyed my CCNP studies and my career in networking thus far and just get more psyched when I see what's coming down the pike. If I end up pursuing this, would folks here recommend passing the written as soon as possible to get motivated even if it means having to take it again before the lab attempt(s)?

I would say take your time. Put it this way, if you rush the written, you will end up going back at it again when you dont understand the technology since you rushed it.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say keep on going! Sounds to me you are not in a huge rush to get it all done, and I think 4 years is a very ample amount of time to get this accomplished. This will allow you a good amount of time to expose yourself to the new technologies and really ingrain the material. You are still young and to be a CCIE by 35 I think is a huge accomplishment / goal!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • JayrodEFJayrodEF Member Posts: 111 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I definitely want to take my time, but feel I need to set a hard goal as far as timing goes for me to have something to push towards. I am curious if there is an average age of folks who get their CCIEs. I'm sure there's some younger folks way more talented than myself getting them, but it would be interesting to know. I feel like I'm a bit behind the curve as I didn't start my career in IT until later after doing other jobs for a while after college. Either way, loving it now and will go from there!
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JayrodEF wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I definitely want to take my time, but feel I need to set a hard goal as far as timing goes for me to have something to push towards. I am curious if there is an average age of folks who get their CCIEs. I'm sure there's some younger folks way more talented than myself getting them, but it would be interesting to know. I feel like I'm a bit behind the curve as I didn't start my career in IT until later after doing other jobs for a while after college. Either way, loving it now and will go from there!

Well, start tracking your status. It will keep you honest. I'm 28 and started studying 11 months ago. Good luck!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."