What Technet Subscription is suitable for Tech Support Engineer?

mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am looking at paying for the Microsoft TechNet Subcription so I can use some of the softwares for my studies because sometimes I have spent ages trying to get a version of either XP or Win Server 2003 to do some of the practices I do towards my MCSA studies.

Does anyone use Technet to help with their studies and which level of subscription do you use Standard or Professional?

Also will it be sufficient enough for me to use for Vmware studies because in my studies I might need maybe 5 VMs with Windows Xp or 7 and maybe 2/3 Windows Servers etc?

Comments

• gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use the Professional as the Standard doesn't include the Enterprise editions of Exchange, etc, but the Standard is good enough for the most of the basic labs. You can find an exact comparison on this page: Buy a TechNet subscription
    Additional Information

Subscriptions purchased from this website last 12
    months. Prices do not include applicable taxes.
    Need more specifics on which
    products are included? Download
    the full list of products available by subscription level
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just want to make a point here. A TechNet subscription is not really needed for most lab scenarios. If your lab is not being torn down and rebuilt every 30 to 90 days then it's a test environment. For a true lab you can get trial versions of nearly every one of the enterprise server applications and the OSes can be used without a key for 180 days. So unless you really want TechNet to build a more permanent test environment, it's not really worth the money.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    RobertKaucher brings a good point. I evaluated TechNet many times but never pulled the plug as I never hit the 180 days most products have. One advantage the subscription has (for those who need it) is access to older software such as Win XP, Office 2003, etc. If you anticipate labbing migrations then you will see some value.
  • mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just want to make a point here. A TechNet subscription is not really needed for most lab scenarios. If your lab is not being torn down and rebuilt every 30 to 90 days then it's a test environment. For a true lab you can get trial versions of nearly every one of the enterprise server applications and the OSes can be used without a key for 180 days. So unless you really want TechNet to build a more permanent test environment, it's not really worth the money.

I was reading on the internet some where that Microsoft has now limited the number of licenses it will be offering for each software to 2 and also they will be restricting the time you can use it plus you can only activate it once.

I was looking at investing on a good server and install all the OSes that I will be working with but for those that I will need for my exams I would need maybe 5 of the same running simultaneously.

I will need more information on the current licensing structure and if its possible to use for my MSCA/MSCE studies.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    See below.

Beginning in mid-March 2012, subscribers to TechNet Subscriptions (excluding TechNet Standard which are entitled to 2 keys per product) may access a maximum allocation of three (3) product keys for Microsoft Office and Windows Client products in connection with their subscription. The allotted keys may only be used for software evaluation purposes. Once the maximum keys have been activated, no more keys will be made available. Additional product keys may be acquired through the purchase of an additional subscription.
  • mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    See below.

Beginning in mid-March 2012, subscribers to TechNet Subscriptions (excluding TechNet Standard which are entitled to 2 keys per product) may access a maximum allocation of three (3) product keys for Microsoft Office and Windows Client products in connection with their subscription. The allotted keys may only be used for software evaluation purposes. Once the maximum keys have been activated, no more keys will be made available. Additional product keys may be acquired through the purchase of an additional subscription.

Thanks Cyberguypr