i suck at interviews

lizaliaslizalias Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
if theres something im not good at its interviews.

whether it be for a job or even work experience.

im kinda like those people that "once you get to know me im ok".

some of the things the 'interviewer' ask just get me stomped no matter what the question it, i just get a blanked out and feel dumb and stupid lol. Then once i get home i kick myself in the head for doing really bad.

and very shy around people, maybe because im on the pc all day everyday.

this question i hate the most: "what are your strengths and weeknesses"?
and when they ask if i have come accross a particular situation in the past what did i do to help, and similar.

so really need help on what can i do to improve this 'fear of interviews'.

Comments

• capy_12090capy_12090 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If the same questions keep stumping you, plan your answers ahead of time.

Another tip is to try to imagine that you have already been offered the job, so there is nothing to be nervous about.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Practicing the situation is a good way to get used to it. I used to send people I know that had a similar problem to a few friends that owned or managed businesses. They would interview them just like if they were looking for staff for themselves and then give the person a score card and some suggestions.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Head to the bookstore and pick up some books on how to interview. Also look for the books like "250 questions you may be asked on an interview". Those have really helped me. There are also simulated interviews for your computer.
  • frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
    Also, make sure you get a good nights sleep! Don't waste time overthinking things! If you are tired you won't perform well in the interview.

Just like you I have a fear of interviews too, and also public speaking. I have used a couple methods to reduce the stress leading up to the interview:

1.) Use mind tricks, like repeat in your head that you're awesome, etc. it's amazing because you'll start really believing it and you won't be so nervous in the interview.

2.) Take Vitamins, I like Kava and Gaba, they can help you relax.

3.) Practice Q/A with a tape recorder. I have used this method, hearing my own voice and knowing what I'm going to say has saved me plenty of times, not just for interviews, but also for class presentations that I had to give in front of classes of 50+ people.

I hope this helps and good luck.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The January 25, 2006 edition of The Daily Show with John Stewart featured a comedic segment on job interviews, creating resumes, etc. It was silly, but there was actually a lot of good advice in it.

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/index.jhtml

I always go into an interview with the attitude that I am there to interview the interviewers. I ask questions to actually try and take over the interview. If you go in with a shrinking, subordinate attitude you'll never command any notice or respect. Pleasant, assertive, self-confidence with no arrogance goes a long way to impressing an prospective employer. It takes practice.
  • lizaliaslizalias Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks will try those things out.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Oh, keep your back straight, chin up, and make confidant eye contact. I also like to tilt my head a bit forward and to one side to show that I am intently listening to the interviewer. Some less experienced interviewers can really be intimidated by this type of body language. Martial arts training will give you this type of confidant body posture, but don't bother trying to get a black belt before getting a job. icon_wink.gif