Opinions on Server 2012?

I am reading "Introducing Windows Server 2012" and playing around with the RC, and there are quite a few new features that I am a fan of. I am giving a technical brief on it to the IT staff here in a few weeks and am wondering what your opinions are?
Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Comments

• kemar1014kemar1014 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did the jump start for it last week. i so in love with it. Especially with the new power shell and hyper-v. I think the change from Iscsi to SMB storage really shock me but i see the rational. But 2012 is here to say man. Its build to give Small business high avialability
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Haven't done much hands on, but some of the features I've ready about are definitely big deals. I'm somewhat apprehensive but still pretty excited to see it first hand.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I will say love it, they have literally crammed everything possible into this. Unfortunately I dont see it much in the home lab to play around with...atleast in my home lab.... icon_redface.gif
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've played with it briefly so far and I'm liking what I have seen thus far. The changes and improvements to PowerShell and Hyper-V are a welcome change for Server 2012. icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Hyper V doesn't work on my Desktop icon_redface.gif
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did not get a chance to play with it myself but it sounds awesome. I read the preview PDF and it sounds like a total package for anyone that needs to just install one of them. From the improved "Chkdsk" and online disk health checks though the storage and high availability (dont forget cloud) features looks like to be one of their main focuses that they improved on.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I can get 1/2 the IO/PS that they are claiming on SQL Server 2012 in my virtualized environment at work.... I will be upgrading ASAP. I need to find a way to perform a proper test, though. The demo I saw was on an SSD based SAN but they were getting well over a million IO/PS on a VM.
  • bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    If I can get 1/2 the IO/PS that they are claiming on SQL Server 2012 in my virtualized environment at work.... I will be upgrading ASAP. I need to find a way to perform a proper test, though. The demo I saw was on an SSD based SAN but they were getting well over a million IO/PS on a VM.

Do you happen to have a link to what you are referring? I'd be interested in checking it out.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I love the new technical improvements, especially Hyper-V 3.

Hate the new interface icon_sad.gif
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think this was done on Fusion-io hardware if I am not mistaken.