Where has Hiren's bootCD been all my life?

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just started my current help desk position and one of the first things that was given to me was a copy of Hiren's BootCD...my god...what an amazing set of tools!! Some of this stuff I knew about but there are a ton of extremely useful tools on this disk that I have never heard of. I have been having driver issues with my laptop for a while and have been unable to find the display drivers that I needed...popped that disc in, ran the 3dp chip program and just like that my laptop is fixed and able to connect to my TV. If you haven't heard of it already, google Hiren and check it out...
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Pretty handy little thing, we use it to break passwords on non-domain systems mostly.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • GPITGPIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think I have a copy of this laying around here somewhere. Saved me a few times.
  • htebazilehtebazile Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Before I found Hiren's disk I used ERD commander (which is pretty much obsolete now - best for XP systems). Both have been very helpful over the years.

Edit: I meant the version of ERD commander I have is obsolete - I don't have the newer versions.
    ~ elizabeth
  • chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
    GPIT wrote: »
    Before I found Hiren's disk I used ERD commander (which is pretty much obsolete now - best for XP systems). Both have been very helpful over the years.
    ERD is still around, it has been rolled into MSDart, which works in vista, win 7 etc.
    ERD Commander in MSDaRT 6.5
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    i always thought this CD was illegal
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Nope it's all freeware and software that the authors let the patents expire on. Nothing illegal here.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hirens is awesome, so is Trinity Rescue Kit, Also Linux live cds have saved my ass on a few occasions especially if you need to find a driver in Windows. Boot up a live cd fire up the CLI, and type lscpi or lshw and it well tell you everything about the hardware :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Some versions of Hiren's Boot CD use a lot of software that is not free or open source.
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I haven't used it in a while, but it has been on my USB drive for years that is on my keychain.
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    UBCD is better icon_cool.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• PetrinodaPetrinoda Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    4_lom wrote: »
    UBCD is better icon_cool.gif

But is it legal?
  • sokkaNETsokkaNET Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hiren used to use have a bunch of pirate software, but now it's all freeware or open source, same goes for UBCD.

I find UBCD much better, but it's just because I'm more used to it.
    Petrinoda wrote: »
    But is it legal?

Of course it is. It's a free download. Ultimate Boot CD - Download the UBCD
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• PetrinodaPetrinoda Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I thought there was more than 1 illegal one. I must of been thinking of the Hirens with norton and stuff on it.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @Petrinoda,

Please explain why you think the tools being recommended are 'illegal'!
    PW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Petrinoda wrote: »
    I thought there was more than 1 illegal one. I must of been thinking of the Hirens with norton and stuff on it.

You're making my brain hurt icon_wink.gif. Can you explain a little better please? I have never heard of UBCD or Hirens containing illegal software.

• WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    The software in question was not illegal but rather unliscensed, making it illegal for business and personal use and it was purged from the contents of future discs. I don't remember exactly what was on there but that is what went down.
    The software in question was not illegal but rather unliscensed, making it illegal for business and personal use and it was purged from the contents of future discs. I don't remember exactly what was on there but that is what went down.

Oh okay, I understand now :)

• PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Norton Ghost was on the boot CD at one point
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I've never had a copy with Ghost. The software on the disks I've seen was opensource. Perhaps others have made modifications to their copies over the years. IIRC, there are insturctions for adding software.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    I've never had a copy with Ghost. The software on the disks I've seen was opensource. Perhaps others have made modifications to their copies over the years. IIRC, there are insturctions for adding software.

Versions before 11 contained several commercial products:
    Hiren's BootCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hiren’s BootCD 10.6 release notes:
    Hiren