Finally passed my 70-642 - A story for the down trodden

DribbleCastleDribbleCastle Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
On my fourth attempt I finally passed the 70-642 with an 892. After a total of almost 9 months I finally got this test behind me. Such a relief. Out of 5 recent certs this is the only one that I had trouble with. MS exams can be so damn deceiving. So if you have failed several times, don't feel to bad, you'll eventually overcome.

Anyway, I used the MS book, the Study Guide by William Panek, CBTNuggets videos, and Messure Up practice questions.

Didn't use this in my past certs but my new strategy going forward will be to watch the videos first and then read books, labs. In the past I would do the opposite which makes the videos boring and easy to space out on. CBTNuggets are way to long, wish they were more like Lynda.com style (less than 5 or 10 mins), but I guess the IT Pro content is hard to cover in smaller chunks.

Next up is the 70-643 to complete my MSTS. I will be so happy to be done with MS exams for a while.

Btw, exam is very similar to last years. The extended rumors were not true in my case. Wink Wink.

Thanks in advance for any congratulations. Hope this info helps.

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your pass!
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Congrats dude. I'm currently doing 70-640 and am suffering with boredom... I'm watching the vids, reading, and labbing all at once. I started with just vids and writing down everything. It was helpful for the simple fact that when it came to reading and trying to picture what the UI looked like for say ADSI it was a lot easier.

The only issue is I'm reading the book cover to cover, and not with where I am up to in CBT videos. but luckily I have seen all the videos (except the NEW in R2) ones.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Congrats! Make sure that you go through the CBT Nuggets & the MSTS Book with a fine tooth and comb, compared to 642, 643 is a different beast altogether.
    Moreover, CBT Nuggets for 643 are really long and painful. I have gone through the Nuggets twice now, now going through the book and doing the practice exam.
    All the best!
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    where you guys get the videos Im lost...
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    Congrats on the pass.
    where you guys get the videos Im lost...

You can find free videos at IT Free Training | Where free means free

Or you can buy videos at CBT IT Training Videos Online, Certification and Education | CBT Nuggets
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
    Or get some industrial strength coffee make yourself comfortable and sign up for the CBT Nuggets 24 hour Trial. icon_thumright.gif
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • JwebbJwebb Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Gang:

Has anyone used the Learnsmart Preplogic Video's? If so how does this compare to say CBT Nuggets and TrainSignal?

Peace
    I saw a few videos some time back however, found CBT a bit better. This is an individual choice and its upto you to decide which one is more comfortable for you.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Congrats! 70-642 was no pushover, and from experience, 70-643 isn't any easier. Just stay focused - you're almost there!
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi