Cisco/Linksys all up in your business...

kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□

Comments

• WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    What the heck....?! Something like this should be all over the place and this is the first I hear of it?!
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    wow, that's pretty underhanded
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Heard this on the ISD podcast, pretty crappy move on their part. At the very least set it as an opt-in.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    This stuff should be taken to court. Seriously, you spend money on the product the product is yours to do whatever you want. However, if you sign up for a service (such as the cloud) then I can see them being a bit stricter. This stuff is getting a little out of hand.
    I guess rolling your own router or gateway server is looking better by the month.
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Now that is just creepy..
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just another reason to move over to ddwrt or tomato.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Qord wrote: »
    Just another reason to move over to ddwrt or tomato.

Or set up a PC as a router. :D
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No more pr0n. The internet is based off small pr0n mail going through the small holes in the wires we plug into our computers!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chaser7783 wrote: »
    Mentioned it here last week. http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/79091-cisco-connect-cloud-your-linksys-routers.html
    This has been known for about two weeks now.

I figured it was. Every search term I tried with Cisco came back with too many related terms message so I just posted it.

Next time BUMP IT!
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    Or set up a PC as a router. :D

Are you currently doing this? What are your suggestions?
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    ESR made a post about it today.

Cisco provides a lesson

Ugly stuff. If I can't install DD-WRT or Tomato on a router for my next purchase, I'm not going to get it.
    kevozz wrote: »
    Are you currently doing this? What are your suggestions?

You find an ass-kicking mini-itx board and case, preferably low-power netbook/nettop CPU/APU, and roll it together with some Linux and you have yourself a home gateway router/server. They have server boards that are ideal for it.
  • J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like Qord said; another reason to use DD-WRT or tomato. I haven't personally used tomato, but I run DD-WRT at home so that things like this won't ever happen. Though, most ISP's can monitor your outgoing traffic.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    +1 for DD-WRT

For the outgoing traffic monitoring, I noticed the other day that TWC was monitoring my search requests and offering "search help" when a url/search term wasn't found. Essentially, they are monitoring all of my traffic so they can offer me a "service." Keep your service. I'm proxying through a VPS from now on.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got the EA4500 and this didn't happen to me. I'm guessing this only happened to the people who used the software CD that comes with the router?

Also
    Cisco Connect Cloud No Longer Default Setting For Routers - Technology News - redOrbit
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA