Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 891 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just passed ORC1. I didn't perform as high as I thought I would, but I'll take the pass since everything seemed to just bleed together with all the psycho social terms thrown around. I tried to convince my Mentor to let me knock out Technical Writing and Capstone, but he was worried with the level of writing (he over exaggerated and said the Tech Writing would be 20 pages+ and Capstone 30+). I completed Tech Writing at UMUC and the idea/concept are the same. So, back to focusing on, yawn, web design (CUV1, BOV1 and DFV1).
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well spider my tech writing was around 26 pages and my capstone was around 40, it is a lot of writing. However, depending on how fast you write, it's not insurmountable. I did tech in a few days and modifying my paper for capstone took another day. I know some mentors are leery of letting folks do those classes with quite a few left to go afterwards.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What's with the long pages for the tech writing/capstone? Now that I have access to the rubrics for both classes, nowhere in it did it say that we are required to write the X minimum amount of pages.

I am just curious to know why some of you like to put in a lot of efforts in those papers. I didn't think it would matter for a bachelor degree, but makes more sense for a master.
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    Why not put in a lot of time? Especially if you plan to continue your studies with WGU. Its also possible that to hit all of the topics in the rubics it just ended up being a large paper. If you are going to do something and put your name on it, you should do the best you can.
  • Options
    snapdadsnapdad Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just started WGU on July first. Already knocked out WFV1. I'm hoping to ram through this in a year or less. These forums and this thread have helped out greatly on what to expect from WGU.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    just got off the phone with my enrollment counselor, looks like we are green for August 1st! I'm excited to get this done!!!
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    dcren21dcren21 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just got off the phone with my enrollment counselor, looks like we are green for August 1st! I'm excited to get this done!!!

Congrats and good. Did you find out how much transferred in?

I didn't have much transferred in but I have been studying for the CCNA for my current job (needed) and cramming in my A+ stuff also, so within the first month or two I hope to knock those out in addition to the IT Fund I that we are required to start off with.
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (Start Date 8/1/12) : Transferred | Required | In Progress | Completed
    AGC1 BBC1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INT1 BVC1 RIT1 INC1 CUV1 BOV1 GAC1 HHT1 DHV1 CSV1 QLT1 IWC1 IWT1 DJV1 KET1 TPV1 CVV1 CJV1 KFT1 SBT1 RGT1 CTV1 CNV1 CQV1 COV1 AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1 MGC1 BNC1
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    no i don't know know, didn't even touch on that and now i think about it i should have asked. i think they're waiting for my cisco transcript which i am waiting for cisco to update with my ccna security certification.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    Exit interview for financial aid done, fafsa for 2012-2013 done, other financial aid hoops done, email from enrollment counselor yesterday, I am clear for Sept. 1st for start. Already starting to gear myself up for some hardcore writing.

hiddenknight821 my tech and cap ended up being an actual project proposal and presentation for work. In order to cover all the bases I needed for my job and for the degree, it had to be a bit longer.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i broke down and hired a java tutor for the two java classes so i can get them done with out going into a new term

edit: hiring a tutor has been great i just ask the questions i have issues with and he gives me an explanation and a little code to show me how it looks in java
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @demonfurbie: I feel your pain. I wasted three months on KFT1 alone, because of how naive I was to believe that following the COS completely will be my safest bet to pass that class, when in fact it was useless. I wasted all my time reading the required chapters then rereading the same topic with a different Java book I own to understand it better. Only 15% of what's in the COS is applicable to the the class. If I had taken the KET1, I would have known better not to believe in that crap KFT1 trying to pull on me. I regretted wasting my time working with an actual partner.

In my opinion, I thought Task 3 and 4 are tough. I didn't really understand the PPT I created in Task 3. The UML diagrams for Task 4 were tough enough for me to put together, but I still don't understand it, and I know I didn't do them correctly. So I wouldn't bring this up to my employer at all. My biggest fuss about Task 4 is how flawed the instruction/requirements are, and it turned out I had to circumvent the issue by being more creative and add whatever I needed to get what they wanted me to do. What pissed me off is that no one bothers updating the instruction. I will not allow this to happen at a B&M. I am very familiar with Java, but just not the software development stuff. I wish this wasn't my first TaskStream class. If knew the rubric is the authority, I would just strictly follow what it asks and nothing extra.
    Hypntick wrote: »
    hiddenknight821 my tech and cap ended up being an actual project proposal and presentation for work. In order to cover all the bases I needed for my job and for the degree, it had to be a bit longer.

That makes sense. Too bad I have to come up with something. I will only put in the same amount of work I put in for most of my classes, and I think that's fair enough.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    my cap/tech i did over a long 4 day weekend
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Avery HarrisAvery Harris Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Everyone. I'm considering enrolling at WGU and pursuing in the BS in Business - Information Technology Management program. I see a lot of you are going the BSIT route with various concentrations, but who has completed (or currently working on) this program? I'm an experienced IT Program Manager and looking for a BS and eventually MBA to help me get to the executive level. Also, I'm forced to pay out of pocket because I don't qualify for Financial Aid and my company only reimburses and won't pay upfront. So, does anyone take advantage of WGU's payment plan option, and if so, how has that experience been? Thanks in advance for your time in replying, and I'm looking forward to getting started and joining this "fraternity"!
  • Options
    stran2stran2 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone,
    I'll be starting classes at WGU for IT management on August 1st. I hope to share my experiences here and see how everyone else is doing. I'll be getting my transcript evaluation in next week and I have all my financial aid settled. So far everything has gone smoothly and the enrollment counselor was a lot of help. Replies promptly to most the of e-mails I sent. The Intake interview wasn't really an interview for me more of the counselor telling you more about the program. Anyways, Best of luck to everyone and if anyone else is taking the same program, I'd like to know your experiences or what kind of careers this degree can get you into.
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    I use the tuition installment it's pretty easy you have to fill it out for each term. Just populate the required fields in the pdf, print out the form, sign it then email or fax it back to the school. First payment is due before your term starts and the second payment is due in three months. You can also make early payments without a penalty.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    KeithC wrote: »
    I use the tuition installment it's pretty easy you have to fill it out for each term. Just populate the required fields in the pdf, print out the form, sign it then email or fax it back to the school. First payment is due before your term starts and the second payment is due in three months. You can also make early payments without a penalty.

I would like to expand upon this... Assuming their benefits don't cover the full tuition, veterans have the option of a monthly tuition installment.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    Avery HarrisAvery Harris Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    KeithC wrote: »
    Okay, sounds easy enough. So, since everyone has exactly the same tuition at WGU, can you tell me what the two payments come out to be? Is it around $1500 or are there extra fees thrown in as well? And, as I understand it, books are included in the tuition too... correct?
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's a 1xx dollar resource fee that they use to cover your eText and resources and a fee for the plan setup. That's all I was told by my advisor.

How long does it take to get results from transfers? They got my transcript about 4 days ago.
  • Options
    joberjober Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    There's a 1xx dollar resource fee that they use to cover your eText and resources and a fee for the plan setup. That's all I was told by my advisor.

How long does it take to get results from transfers? They got my transcript about 4 days ago.

It was about a week for me after they received my last transcript. It wouldnt hurt to send a follow up email with your enrollment coordinator as thats what I did and later that day I had my transfer evaluation in my email.
  • Options
    dcren21dcren21 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Okay, sounds easy enough. So, since everyone has exactly the same tuition at WGU, can you tell me what the two payments come out to be? Is it around $1500 or are there extra fees thrown in as well? And, as I understand it, books are included in the tuition too... correct?

You will get a bill that only lists your program = $2890 and then the $145 resource fee. Total is $3035. Those will be the only 2 items or charges on the bill. So you wont have anything hidden on there or something not to expect. They do charge a promise to pay fee or processing fee or something like that which I think is like $50 per term. Not 100% sure, but you wont have random unexpected fees or charges.
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (Start Date 8/1/12) : Transferred | Required | In Progress | Completed
    AGC1 BBC1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INT1 BVC1 RIT1 INC1 CUV1 BOV1 GAC1 HHT1 DHV1 CSV1 QLT1 IWC1 IWT1 DJV1 KET1 TPV1 CVV1 CJV1 KFT1 SBT1 RGT1 CTV1 CNV1 CQV1 COV1 AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1 MGC1 BNC1
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    Yes the "plan fee" which is the cost of doing a split payment is $55 that is due along with the resource fee of $145. The first payment will be $1,645 and the second payment will be $1,445 for non-military folk.
  • Options
    snapdadsnapdad Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just knocked out CUV1. Two weeks in and two courses down. I'm loving WGU so far.

Now on to BOV1. Hopefully the CIW Javascript exam is as easy as the Web Foundations and Web Designer were.
  • Options
    If you've had prior coding experience, it should be a breeze. The syntax of the language is pretty straightforward.
  • Options
    rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've completed all the tasks for LET1, TWA1 and CPA6. Just waiting on taskstream now. Down to my final three courses. Term ends in September. Probably won't be able to finish these two database development certs and do the hard java course in that amount of time though. Its awesome to be so close to finishing. Can't wait!
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • Options
    ClevelandrsClevelandrs Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've just applied to a community college to get a networking certificate. Should I apply to WGU instead? I would rather go for my bachelor degree, but time is a factor with work, and family (2 year old, one on the way).
    I despise my job and want to start a new career ASAP but $$$ and benefits with the newer family are restricting.
    ?????????????
  • Options
    kennykerrivkennykerriv Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hypntick

I am looking at enrolling into WGU. I'm preparing to take my A+ exam to use as my prerequisite to help me into the BSIT they offer. I saw that you had finished your BS program with them already and are now working on your MS. I just wanted to ask you what you thought about your experience with the program and the school itself? Did it help advance you in the career field your in now? I keep getting mixed reviews about the school and how employers look at the school and how the information taught and learned through WGU compares to other online BSIT degrees. If you could help me out with some of your input it would be much appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Pishof wrote: »
    Has anyone else who's used Ucertify for the pk-003 feeling that many of the questions are well beyond the scope needed for project+?

What I seem to remember is that uCertify took their PMP materials and slapped the Project+ label on them. I would tell you, though, as irritating as any project management exam can be, you'd be better off with overkill rather than underkill-- trust me.

I used a cheap, new PMP book for most of my Project+ reading. . . and it was worth every penny.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 891 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've started slogging through CUV1. I have zero web design experience. The class gives a good intro, but it's not exactly going to make the student a site designer akin to an Amazon (I can only imagine the work, logistics and back end on that site).

So far I'm on chapter 25 of 34. I ran into issues with Adobe Flash Pro CS6, which is a different version than the one used in the text. There are a few small UI and function changes.

Also, the text hasn't touched on HTML 5 and doesn't reflect the impact of mobile/iPhone/iPad/Android/Windows 7/8.

I hope to be done reading by Tuesday/Wednesday. However, my mentor is currently attending commencement and hasn't seen the request for exam approval I submitted two days ago (I did send him an email).

I hope to take the test on Friday, as I'm starting an Intermediate ITIL class next Monday and my daughter's birthday is this weekend (she's currently in the hospital).
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had the sames issues with CS6. They were close enough to learn the material to pass. I'd recommend focusing on CSS and Web graphics, basically the areas in the Course Mastery that have 2 sections. The practice exams prepare you very well for the exam.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    I've just applied to a community college to get a networking certificate. Should I apply to WGU instead? I would rather go for my bachelor degree, but time is a factor with work, and family (2 year old, one on the way).
    I despise my job and want to start a new career ASAP but $$$ and benefits with the newer family are restricting.
    ?????????????

I recently graduated with an Associate's degree, but I did not learn about WGU until the end of my 4th semester. If I knew about WGU beforehand, I might have rocked out as many certifications as possible and transferred in as many credits as possible. You will still need to complete all the general classes with WGU if you do not transfer in a degree or a bunch of credits. My Associate's did fulfill all the general requirements with WGU but it took 5 traditional semesters or 2.5 years. I could have probably finished my Bachelor's degree in that time at WGU. I definitely do not regret my time at community college. I took some great classes, made some great friends, and actually found employment at my community college as a lab aide. That is a serious disadvantage with WGU, if you are a good at networking, a brick and mortar school could open some doors and help you find new contacts to transit into the IT field but that is a big gamble. If time is a factor, (which I imagine it is with kids and work), I think WGU would be the faster route to your goal.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1