Options

To take or not to take...

ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
I am on the fence about Security+, the rational part of me is against it, but the cert junkie devil is sitting on my shoulder and keeps whispering persuasively... So I'm reaching out to the community to help one or the other win the battle.

Short bio:
  • Computer nerd, security freak
  • Bachelor in Network Security
  • Been in IT professionally for ~9 years, last ~7 years in systems administrtion (tinkering with computers for much longer time)
  • Lately doing mostly Linux engineering and InfoSec work.
  • Planning to do CISSP one day

Reasons to not take Security+:
  • Save money and time on the exam
  • Save money on the AMFs
  • Save effort on something that seems to have little ROI for the professional portfolio

Reasons to take Security+:
  • Make the lil' devil shut up :) (a.k.a. satisfy the inner cert junkie's craving for new shiny papers)

In short, I don't really see any tangible benefit for myself in getting this cert... Do you? Something along the lines of shaving off a year from CISSP experience requirement (but that's already taken care of by the degree). Does it give any bonus points when applying to a Master program? Serves as a prerequisite for another certification?
“You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
- discounted vouchers for certs

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think S+ is required for DoD jobs. When do you think you will complete the CISSP? Will you be looking for a different job in the meantime?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Planning to get CISSP within the next two years. Not looking for a new job at the moment, not interested in DoD/government work - prefer private sector.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Sometimes, just listening to the voice that whispers to you is the only reason to do something. Then again, it depends on if you think that voice comes to from a sacred place or is a little devil.

Years ago, I was hearing repeated whispers to complete the CISSP certification. I didn't need it. My employer wouldn't pay for it. I knew it was going to be a tough exam and it would take a lot of time and energy to complete it, but the message kept repeating and I've learned to listen to repeated messages. For me, repeated messages come to me from a sacred place. (I've also learned there is another voice that isn't so sacred and is usually best ignored.) At $600 for the exam, plus a hundred or so in books, it wasn't cheap but I pursued it. As a result, many different opportunties opened up to me that simply would not be available if I didn't pursue it. It was clearly the right decision even though it didn't make sense if I simply listed pros and cons.

The biggest advice I'd give is see if you can determine if this is your sacred voice whispering to you, or a little devil.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thank you for your balanced comment, Darril, appreciate it

GetCertified4Less
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So what did you decide?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    I think of all the CompTIA exams this one is a very solid cert to get. I wouldn't pay the AMF or worry about the CE program especially if you are going for the CISSP. If nothing else would keep a good Sec + book handy. I do anways it helps explains basic security things to people who have no clue.
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Just go take the exam mate. It will be an easy pass for you icon_wink.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    Update: Last night I decided to take the exam, booked it this morning and passed in the afternoon. I scored 890 out of 900 without preparation, which was exactly what I wanted to prove to myself.

The exam matched my expectations in terms of coverage and difficulty, and I did like how it fared on both of those scales,

Not going into much details because of little devotion I've given to this exam - other TE members are in a much better position to comment on it, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Finally, I only paid $125 for this exam - so FYI, if you are planning to take it before July 11, you can get the voucher here.

Thanks everyone for your responses in this thread!

GetCertified4Less
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the pass and excellent find on the $125 voucher. I just checked and they still have them available for that price.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    I am debating the same thing, I could just jump to CEH v7
  • Options
    _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    Thanks guys :)

GetCertified4Less
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    HLRS wrote: »
    I am debating the same thing, I could just jump to CEH v7

They are two different topics, with very little overlap. Sec+ is a broad view at security, CEH is specific and goes into detail on use of specific tools. Sec+ is also good if you plan to do CISSP, it covers about half of the domains and at almost the same level of detail needed.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013