Options

Advice for MS Exams

PlentymechPlentymech Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I've not pursued my MS certs since NT. Over the years I’ve dipped in and out and done the odd exam but nothing for about 5 years.

I’d like to start to study a few more now and was thinking of the Server 2008 70-646 exam just for starters but I don’t see this listed as a component of any MCSE\MCITP path. I’m not convinced I’d follow such a path again as I’m more virtualization now but would like to take the admin courses and exams for the major Oss, just to keep up to date.

Does anyone feel 70-646 in this case is worth doing as I don’t see a lot of mention of people taking it?

Thanks for any info

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The 70-646 test is the pro-level (think 'design') exam for the MCITP: Server Administrator, which was recently renamed MCSA: Windows Server 2008. It's definitely not recommended that you sit for this exam off the bat, as it assumes existing, in-depth knowledge of Active Directory and Windows network infrastructure topics before even beginning on the design and management topics.

There are two certification-paths for Windows Server 2008, each consisting of several configuration/technology exams and one administration/design exam:

MCITP: Server Administrator -- 70-640 + 70-642 + 70-646

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator: -- 70-640 + 70-642 + 70-643 + 70-680 + 70-647

Microsoft recently made some sweeping changes to their certification program, effectively marking the end of the MCITP generation of certifications as of late 2013. While it's a bit confusing to keep up with these changes, the important thing to remember is that they're basically gearing up to re-launch the MCSA/MCSE brand and move forward towards Windows Server 2012, and all the other 2012-generation technologies. That doesn't necessarily mean you should ignore the 2008-generation server technologies, they're still quite wide-spread and all the new stuff is built on what they did with Windows Server 2008.

Both the MCITP: SA and MCITP: EA certifications automatically earn you the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 title as well, which can be upgraded to MCSA: Windows Server 2012 with a single exam. This does put the Enterprise Administrator certification at a bit of a dead-end scenario, so you may be better off shooting for the Server Administrator cert, then upgrading to the 2012 cert after it launches late this year if you want to get your skills current and then move forward to the next stage.

For more information on the new Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) and Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) certifications, have a look at the sticky-thread in the new MCSA/MCSE 2012 forum: http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/78297-mcsa-mcse-windows-server-2012-info.html

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So...what advice would anyone offer for someone who passed the 640 a year ago, has been trying to study for the 642 (but is still a good 4 months from taking the exam). I've been wondering where 2012 would fit in. Trying to decide to ditch 2k8 and just go for that.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Crikey, considering that you have over a year to finish up before the MCITP-generation title retires - but the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 is sticking around - I'd say go ahead and finish the MCSA now (by sitting for 70-642 and then 70-646) and then you can do a one-exam upgrade (70-417) to earn the MCSA on 2012. Windows Server 2008 is going to be quite relevant for a long time, just as Windows Server 2003 has been, and still is. This is why they're hanging onto the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 and only ditching the MCITP titles, themselves.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Slowhand. I was thinking that but it's nice to get another viewpoint.