cucm on vmware workstation

can you run cisco unified media on vmware workstation

Comments

• azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yep, it works fine in vmware workstation, I've done so on an old dual core 4GB RAM laptop (when on the road) and a quad core 8GB RAM desktop.

not the fastest on the laptop maybe, as you just have the added overhead of the native PC/Laptop O/S.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i plan to run it on my win 7 laptop i3 380 8gb 250gb. is there a limitation can i run cucm pub sub, cuc, cups, and maybe uccx on workstation.
  • skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you can, but like with most VMs your limitation will be your memory. I believe all those apps require 2GB ram minimum so if you've just got 8, you won't be able to run all the apps at the same time. If your laptop has the capacity, I'd add more ram if you can
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can run them all in workstation – but probably not at the same time on a laptop. Worst case you can pick and choose which VMs to start up depending on the lab that you are working on. When I had limited server resources I would typically suspend the SUB server when I needed to spin up something else – It’s not a problem anymore though :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    dmarcisco,

I see you are buying all this equipment, have you thought about building a cheap esxi whitebox to use just for the UC suite? You won't need IOMMU, so most hardware would work (motherboard nics are always the thing to look out for). It's just a thought though.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RAM is stupid cheap nowadays but I think OP's issue will ultimately be his laptop's motherboard. They typically don't support as much RAM as desktop MBs. I have a similar setup to what I think you're aiming for dmarcisco. Couple months ago I upgraded my cheap ass HP desktop I bought 4 yrs ago. For ~$500 I was able to hook it up nicely... couple months ago I caught a deal and snagged 32GB ram for $170. I can run the entire ccie suite in VM workstation plus some CIPC/CUPC clients, AD, Exchange for unified messaging, etc. with ease now.
    the issue i have i bought a dell sc1425 a while ago upgraded to 8gb maxed out with 4x2gb dual channel memory single channel memory goes 12gb but way to expensive. I then elimanted scsci installed a 80gb sata drive and added a video card to run dual monitors when i was labbing with gns3.

When i bought it i was not thinking about building a cucm lab. My server doesnt support vt but i read esxi could be installed with a work around. Whether or not it'll work i found out today i could run vw workstation on the laptop so i'm open to the idea of running the server and the laptop in tandem. It would've been ideal if i couldve done it on the laptop the server sounds like a jet engine when its on.
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I thought it was easier than starting a new one.

I've got a really old PC (2gig CPU, 1.5Gig RAM) and am trying to get CUCM 7.1 installed in VMware player. Every seems to tick along quite nicely until I have to set up an NTP server.

I have entered ntp master 8 on the router and set up the routers IP address in the CUCM installation but it keeps saying that it is unreachable. I can ping the router from the PC outside of VMware in the command prompt. VMware is set up as "bridge" as recommended.

Any ideas? This is getting really frustrating.
    The stratum is set to high on the router. CUCM 8.5 requires the stratum to be 6 and under, so once it's changed, you should be good.
    Thanks for that, I'll give it a try. Does the NTP server need to be in the same subnet as CUCM? Also, I read somewhere that NTP can't be set up on the telephony router, is that true?

Thanks for the help. :)
    You can set up NTP on any router, including a voice enabled router. And it doesn't have to be in the same subnet as long as you have connectivity.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Lots of free apps to setup an NTP server on a Windows/LINUX PC too. My lab NTP server is a Windows Server 2008 machine that I use for backups, SYSLOG, PRTG, and so on. I set it up this way because my lab gear typically can't see the outside world but can see the workstation.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    Thanks guys it's all working. :) A little slow but that's sweet, running on a very old PC.

The problem was I set the CUCM IP address the same as the NIC. Changed it to just one in the same subnet and problem solved.

Took me three install attempts, but got there in the end. Once again thanks, much appreciated.
    Thanks for everyones input.