Best way to study processors...

NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
Im using Meyers "All In One" as my primary study guide for my A+. Im currently studying processors, but the book seems to be a little over hte edge with its processor content. Im looking at about 20 processors, each with very detailed information about generation, physical address size, front side bus width, internal/external speed ranges, multiplier ranges, L1-L3 cache, package type and socket type. I could spend weeks studying this! What information here is really necessary for the core, and what have others found is the best way of studying processor information for the core? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    When you work with the CPU's it's not all that difficult to know. You will want to be familar with the information and which information matches up with the CPU's.

It's unlikely that you will see all 80 of your exam questions on CPU's so, budget your time based on CompTIA's percentages and the areas you need to more time to familiarize yourself with.

Just cannot say enough for having experience BEFORE the exam, it just brings everything together.

Sorry, I know of no 'easy' way to learn the information. Think of it like college. If it is something you want to invest the bulk of your life doing, then your time won't be wasted preparing for certifications, promotions, research.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
    Sounds good, thanks!
  • Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What I did was make a study guide in excel with all the important values such as socket number, speed range, cache size, ect. Just making that helped a great deal, then I used it to study from.
  • NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
    Good idea, Ill try that, thanks!
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    Plantwiz wrote:
    It's unlikely that you will see all 80 of your exam questions on CPU's so, budget your time based on CompTIA's percentages and the areas you need to more time to familiarize yourself with.

My A+ instructor had said something similar to that before I took my hardware exam. He said I should only receive one or two questions on CPU's. I received 10! I still passed...but boy was I pissed off! icon_evil.gif
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Wasn't 80 though ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Wasn't 80 though ;)

Knock on wood!