Quick routing question

jmanningjmanning Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have two 2501 routers with a DCE/DTE cable connecting the two in order to mimic a WAN link. I cannot ping an interface on one router from the other and when I run the " show ip route " command both routers only recognize the locally attached networks, not the "remote" networks. I have the DCE end clock rate set at 64000. They should see each others networks shouldn't they? Or do I have to set up a routing protocol?

Comments

• porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    Your router will see whatever network is directly connected to it. However, a routing protocol will be needed for it to see a remote network.

For example, if you've configured S0 (192.168.1.1/24) interface on Router A to connect to S0 (192.168.1.2/24) interface of Router B...Router A will see that network (192.168.1.0/24). However, Router A cannot see any other networks on Router B (for example S1 [192.168.2.1/24] interface) without a routing protocol.
  • jmanningjmanning Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    porengo wrote:
    Your router will see whatever network is directly connected to it. However, a routing protocol will be needed for it to see a remote network.

For example, if you've configured S0 (192.168.1.1/24) interface on Router A to connect to S0 (192.168.1.2/24) interface of Router B...Router A will see that network (192.168.1.0/24). However, Router A cannot see any other networks on Router B (for example S1 [192.168.2.1/24] interface) without a routing protocol.

OK, thanks.
    Serial Interfaces are not communicating, I can't ping one from the other so static route entries are being deleted. Any idea how to get two intefaces working? Thanks.
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well you got the dce and dte cables on the right interfaces? Did you check your line/protocol status?(are you up/up on both devices) Try making sure cables are connected good. An if that doesn't work try posting config.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    also did you put the serial interfaces in the same subnet?

can you post your configs here,

also post the output for sh int s(serial number)

and show contr s(sn)
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
    ^ That was it. I put the second serial interface on a different subnet. I feel so stupid. Thanks for your help.
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    I feel so stupid.

No need to feel stupid. We've all been there and it's part of the learning process. icon_wink.gif