Which programming language is a must know for Info Sec professionals?

I am wondering which programming language a info sec must know. there are many. thanks

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That depends on what the infosec professional is doing:

Malware analysis - assembly
    App pentest - a bit of SQL, a bit of python, javascript, actionscript, a bit of php, a bit of java
    Net pentest - usually just a simple scripting language for tool efficiency - most use python, ruby, some shell programming
    Cypto dev - usually c/c++, etc.

No short-cut answer - usually it's better to learn to program versus learning a programming language. If you learn to program, the program language is just another tool.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If I were you, I would study Python.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    That depends on what the infosec professional is doing:

Malware analysis - assembly
    App pentest - a bit of SQL, a bit of python, javascript, actionscript, a bit of php, a bit of java
    Net pentest - usually just a simple scripting language for tool efficiency - most use python, ruby, some shell programming
    Cypto dev - usually c/c++, etc.

No short-cut answer - usually it's better to learn to program versus learning a programming language. If you learn to program, the program language is just another tool.

QFT! Good answer
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, it really depends on what areas of InfoSec you are specializing in.
  • madisonmillermadisonmiller Banned Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can learn a lot about programming from forums were smart programmers hang out (eg Proggit and Hacker News), read the top articles and ask your questions there; you will get in-depth answers.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    usually it's better to learn to program versus learning a programming language. If you learn to program, the program language is just another tool.

Excellent answer! :)
  • laughing_manlaughing_man Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    usually it's better to learn to program versus learning a programming language. If you learn to program, the program language is just another tool.

And to that end, Python and Ruby are great places to start.
  • idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
    I love python so it gets my vote but alot of tool are also written in perl. C/C++ are also great if you want to develop tools.