Options

Jangs Book All Over The Place?

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
RHCSA/RHCE Red Hat Linux Certification Study Guide Exams EX200 & EX300 , 6th Edition Certification Press: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Jang: Books

Have started reading this book 6th edition, Am I the only one who is thinking wtf? I have read chapter 1 and it seems like the author is assuming you have already set things up or is going off track into different areas leaving me pretty confused.

It's there some sort of specific order you need to follow this currently it is not making alot of sense for myself.
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, this is not a beginners book. The RHCSA and RHCE is for people with at least two years of experience managing Red Hat Linux.

If you want to start out a little easier you might want to look at books/material for either Linux+ or LPIC-1.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You are right this book does seem to jump around in the first 2 chapters, and rightfully so. The exam starts you off with an already built RHEL 6 OS, so the writer is trying to get you to the point where you have a VM capable RHEL 6 server to even go through the rest of the chapters. I would say just install the OS with minimal packages according to the book and go straight to chapter 2. Once you have your VM's created the rest of the book gets easier to understand.
  • Options
    It's not that I find the material difficult to understand it's the fact that his jumping around all over the place, One minute talking about KVM then talking about Partitions, He then briefly touches on LVM and the installation process.

I will take your advice and setup a install with the following then jump onto chapter 2

/boot - 500MB
    / - 8Gig
    Swap - 1 Gig
    /Home - 2 Gig

Did you do the labs in chapter 1 straight away?

• Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After the basic install, I started on page 52 and did my FTP and HTTP configuration. Than I skipped and created a localrepo, so I can use YUM without RHN to install VM and other necessary tools. I skipped the labs because chapter 2 explains how to create your other vm's. From there you will mainly be working on the one server for most of the other configurations.
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice :) I shall give it a go tommorow

• Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    LOL I thought I was the one not getting it...it is definitely silly.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    No, it's really all over the place. Later in the book he gains more focus in his writing, but the first few chapters are tough to keep up with.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I think the book is brief. I had to Google a lot to get examples.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    Regarding chapter 1 and 2, which is about partitioning and creating a lab environment, is CentOS O.K for labbing?
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CentOS is fine. The differences to RHEL are minor and not relevant for the exam.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    Yeah I am using Centos aswell :), Do you actually have to carry out installations in the exam?

• Options
    BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No installation on the exam (it's not listed as an objective).
  • Options
    shan_leo63shan_leo63 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI,

I am planning to give RHCSA exam in December, some one told me that only prepare for 1 --->9 chapters of Micheal jang's 6th edition book. please tell is it enough for RHCSA exam only ?
  • Options
    KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    I noted from a previous post on this forum that onesaint had a blog entry about the first 2 chapters of that book:

Control Protocol: Primer on reading Michael Jang's Red Hat Linux Certification Study Guide

Have not yet started my RHCSA journey icon_redface.gif, but I'll be looking at this when I do... any day now.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Just started reading that book and to me it looks like at the beginning there is a lot of filler material, and in that retrospect Tomassino's book is better: goes straight to the meat, labs and all. Maybe just my impression, but some really unnecessary writing at the start...
  • Options
    GoonerStrikeGoonerStrike Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jang's book is horrible in that respect, could not follow it. I agree that Tomassino's book is MUCH EASIER TO LEARN and not spend time figuring out what he is referring to 2 chapters ago....
  • Options
    Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hands-on Guide to the Red Hat Exams: RHCSA and RHCE Cert Guide and Lab Manual

If you are referring to the above book, Reading the reviews it sounds like it is lacking and is full of errors? can anyone shed some light on this?