Options

Any comments about CRISC

paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was planning to write the CIPP during the second half of this year but it looks like the new materials will not be available until September timeframe.

Instead - I thought I would take a crack at the CRISC. I was reviewing the domain knowledge and it seemed fairly generic. I am interested in the CRISC primarily because I wanted to beef-up my knowledge on risk response and monitoring.

For those that have studied the ISACA materials, did you find it useful in increasing your practical knowledge of risk management? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    I was planning to write the CIPP during the second half of this year but it looks like the new materials will not be available until September timeframe.

Instead - I thought I would take a crack at the CRISC. I was reviewing the domain knowledge and it seemed fairly generic. I am interested in the CRISC primarily because I wanted to beef-up my knowledge on risk response and monitoring.

For those that have studied the ISACA materials, did you find it useful in increasing your practical knowledge of risk management? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I have the 2011 review manual and study questions, and I have to say it increased my knowledge, but not a lot. I'm currently in charge of doing risk assessments, and it is helpful. I do use a lot of the stuff in RiskIT, but I've customized it a bit as well.

It's good stuff, and not that common too.
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. I recall that you had done all the ISACA exams, is the CRISC comparable in difficulty with the others? My only other experience is with the CISM.

Could you elaborate by your comment of "not that common". Are you saying that the domain knowledge is not commonly obtained knowledge? If not does the review manual cover those topics?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    FalasiFalasi Member Posts: 115
    I'm Planning for CRISC next Dec. Already Received my study materials, the review guide is relatively bigger ( double CISM review book) however I was disappointed with review questions, only 100 question and the booklet is really thin >.>

I went over 30-40 questions and Cleared them all. CISM Risk Management Domain should help.
    1st part of the book cover all domains , 2nd part focus on applied knowledge.

My study plan will cover the book as start , finish reading and understanding the core concepts , go over Risk management from CISM review book. go over exam questions , go back to CISM risk management exam questions (if you have the test engine you may want to set it for that domain). then go back and review CRISC book.

ISACA suggest reviewing Cobit4.1 / 5 as part of studying for this exam. May do that If i had enough time by Dec.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    Thanks for your thoughts. I recall that you had done all the ISACA exams, is the CRISC comparable in difficulty with the others? My only other experience is with the CISM.

Could you elaborate by your comment of "not that common". Are you saying that the domain knowledge is not commonly obtained knowledge? If not does the review manual cover those topics?

Thanks again.
    I would have to say that it was easier than the CISA and CISM, and about the same level of difficulty as the CGEIT.

And when I say "not that common" I mean it's not a common skill set. The ability to do stuff like create a risk register and do risk assessments isn't really a common IT skill set. The review manual does cover those topics.

Not a problem.
  • Options
    Thanks very much for everyone's input.