Google Nexus Tablet

tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
Nexus

I am pretty impressed with this. I like how Google is going to push a standard experience with this tablet. The specs are nice but the no SD card slot kind of gets me a bit. I can deal with it though.

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It looks nice but I'm going to hold out for the Surface Pro. From my Nook days, I couldn't deal with the 7 inch screen size. Plus I want to be able to install my regular Windows apps so this wouldn't work well for me. For people that don't mind a smaller screen or having regular Windows applications, this will be perfect. I think it's awesome that they produced the first quad core tablet and the price can't be beat. If it works well with that price, it might eat a good chunk of the market.

I love Google as a company anyways so it's really hard for me to ever speak poorly about their products. I'm bias :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That 299 dollar ball thing seems like it will fail like the original Google TV did. They are pointing out it is made in America but 299 dollars??

Nexus Q...
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Nexus

I am pretty impressed with this. I like how Google is going to push a standard experience with this tablet. The specs are nice but the no SD card slot kind of gets me a bit. I can deal with it though.

Yes, it is a very nice tablet at a good price point. Not having an SD card is very limiting - think about it, what is a big reason for buying a tablet? Movies and Music on the go with no wifi connection.
  • J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I pre-ordered one, so I will let you guys and girls know how it turns out.

I have a kindle fire, so the size of the screen isn't a big deal to me. I will get more use out of a device that is Android powered and can access Google Play with out hacking it.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    looks good but lack of expansion is a turn off for me
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    I have a 16gb in my Razr and a 16gb in my Samsung Tab but I really only use it for backing up files/apps. I learned finally to make sure music is actually stored on the SD card on my phone rather than just assuming when I discovered I lost my Amazon mp3 files.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    That 299 dollar ball thing seems like it will fail like the original Google TV did. They are pointing out it is made in America but 299 dollars??

Nexus Q...

You mean this?
    aokZf.png
    I'd like to know more about wth it does if anyone knows of a good resource, please post it. If it's little more than a party gadget like in the video, I'm not really interested.
    Yeah I read some reviews on the Nexus Q and the only way to control it is with an Android device. Which means on top of 299 dollars you have to buy a remote sheesh.

The reviews are not that positive from what I have read, several have reported having to hard reset it due to frequent lock ups.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It looks pretty impressive but I think I will keep using my ASUS Transformer Prime tablet
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    I saw on Engadget and another tech site that the benchmarks for this tablet is actually better than a lot of the bigger tablets. Probably due to tweaks with Android 4.1 and the plain vanilla Android OS not hampered with all the bloat junk from third parties.
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I'm going to hold out for the Surface Pro personally, or at very least wait to see complete details on the offer before a new purchase.
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    It's a tablet. Which means as a rule I'l will likely avoid it. But that Nexus Q! I love the way it looks! Its about freaking time a company is starting to actually make good looking devices. I guess they finally realized even though apple makes average devices people buy them cause they physically look good when stacked against competitors with better specs.

As an example look what happened to the Zune. Better device lost to Ipod cause of looks.

Id still buy it even if it does freeze up occasionally, thats what patches and firmware upgrades are for. :)

@Robert
    Hello, Nexus Q. Goodbye, Google TV? | Techland | TIME.com
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If it supports VPN i am down with it! I love the 7inch screen , i think its perfect, but my kindle fire doesnt support VPN icon_sad.gif i would love to use it for work but i cant VPN!

10inch is to big to hold, i dont like my ipad....

10inch with a stand and keyboard like the surface is genius! And no it isnt the same as a bluetooth keyboard with an ipad , cover fold out stand, etc.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Has anyone purchased one yet? What's it like for reading technical books(with diagrams/pictures e.t.c)? I've been on the fence for quite some time about tablets, but I think it may be time I purchased one(or maybe wait for the surface to be released), only care about web browsing and reading capabilities.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Devilry wrote: »
    I'm going to hold out for the Surface Pro personally, or at very least wait to see complete details on the offer before a new purchase.

So wonderful of M$ to release vaporware so people will avoid buying good tablets.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    atorven wrote: »
    Has anyone purchased one yet? What's it like for reading technical books(with diagrams/pictures e.t.c)?
    IMO a 7" tablet is perfect for reading tech books. Diagrams and photos look great and you can easily zoom if needed. I have an iPad 2 (received as a gift) but I greatly prefer a smaller, lighter tablet.

As far as the Nexus 7 goes, I was on the fence because there's no SD card slot and I already have a 7" tablet (Acer A100), but I got to try a Nexus 7 yesterday (a friend got it from Sam's Club) and am now planning to buy it. It is noticeably lighter than the A100 and the screen is far better. Plus the reviews show that battery life is dramatically better than the A100. In practice I don't use the A100's SD card slot that much, so not having one isn't a deal killer for me.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    good to know sams club has one so i can go play with it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I pre-ordered one and plan to get the pro version of the surface as well. Neither will compare to my ultrabook though the laptop market isnt going anywhere as long as these things don't have large amounts of fast storage.