CEH vs CHFI vs CompTia Security+ vs OSCP or CCNA Ssecurity

endrosriendrosri Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dear All,

I currently have CCNA. From now I want to learn security. I plan to take the security certification, I am confused should take CEH or CHFI or Security+ or OCSP or CCNA Security or other. Please suggestions and advise from you all, how the comparison of such certification. Which is worth taken.

Thanks You so much

Regard
Endro Purnomo
From Indonesia

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A lot of people start with Security+. It's an entry level certification and it's a good start.

After that, there are so many certifications to look at. But I suggest Security+ to get a foundation. I would also suggest getting into the CCNA: Security.

There is a certification that I started on through elearn security. I think that if you wanna go for the CEH, the certification that elearn security has will help you out alot. eLearnSecurity - Worldwide IT Security training provider
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Those certifications are all over the map in terms of focus. You'll need to determine which areas are of interest to you.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    docrice wrote: »
    Those certifications are all over the map in terms of focus. You'll need to determine which areas are of interest to you.

+1 On that, where do you want to go and does the job require it. Also what do you gain from studying them. Certs are there to learn the material in that area and prove that you do know it. Some people use them as a way to challenge themselves others as a check-mark to get hired. Remember that if you want the certs to get a specific job, the certs will only help you get the interview. What you do from there is all up to you!
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • endrosriendrosri Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a lecture in indonesia. what is your recommended from that security certification. what is the different between CEH v7 and CEH v8?, have CEH v8 been released? in indonesia i am dificult to find training and certification for CEH v8, can u tell me where can i take CEH v8, and how much CEH exam fee for v7 and v8?
    thx so much
  • hardstylewonhardstylewon Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    docrice wrote: »

I agree they are all over the map but when you get into info sec CCNA and Network fundamentals are vital. Especially when it comes to hacking and securing against hacking.

Keep putting it together man. These are all attainable.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree that networking is pivotal to network security but you do not need a CCNA to achieve some of that knowledge. If it is a personal goal, a work requirement or hiring check-mark go for it. I suggest choosing the best path for the money and time and spending it accordingly.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    In order to be a good lecturer, you need experience, not certifications. You need to get some experience doing security.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    To be an entertaining lecturer you need a lot of good stories that are derived from both your experiences and imagination. Inexperienced lecturers can be good just read from Power Points, but they usually can't do a satisfactory job in the Q&A.
    i very agree with u all, experience is number 1, but beside it we need recognition/verification too, i am a new lecturer.
    In addition to my academic degree, i want to have some of IT certification so i get proof as a academics and practitioners. The future I have desire to be an IT practitioners and consultants.

suggestions and advice from you all are very useful for me, thx
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    CEH & Security+ has more value for government related jobs
    CHFI is one if u wanna do network/computer forensic jobs (CEH is needed)
    CCNA:Security, do u like cisco devices ? go for this
    OSCP is one if ur goal is web/network penetration tester (some python & scripting skills r needed b4 taking d course)

CEHv8 is newer (plus, it'll gonna be ANSI accredited)
    for CEH trainings, u can attend in Singapore, Malaysia and Myanmar
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    CHFI is one if u wanna do network/computer forensic jobs (CEH is needed)

I'm fairly sure this isn't accurate. You don't have to acquire the CEH certification in order to take the CHFI exam.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CHFI has a lot of overlap for the CEH. I didn't have to study as hard when I took the CHFI after the CEH. I focused more on the regulations, legal issues, processes for documentation etc.

I am not a fan of EC-Council though, I doubt I will renew the CHFI when it expires. Probably will do the CEH but again focus more on the processes and spend more time working with a handful of tools. The EC-Council exams throw everything under the sun at you software wise.
    Why wouldn't you keep your EC-Council certs up to date? They are one of the few organizations that don't require you to pay for the CE program. And you are most likely already doing enough to keep them current with your CISSP CE credits.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There are two reasons I wont support a CE program, 1.) ex. CompTIA, I dont find it nessesary or particularly beneficial to update a lower level cert. either maintain your highest certs, or keep moving to an advanced cert. 2.) e.x EC-Council, if you no longer support the certifying organization.
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    the_hutch wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure this isn't accurate. You don't have to acquire the CEH certification in order to take the CHFI exam.

hi, thanks for the correction :)
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    endrosri wrote: »
    Dear All,

I currently have CCNA. From now I want to learn security. I plan to take the security certification, I am confused should take CEH or CHFI or Security+ or OCSP or CCNA Security or other. Please suggestions and advise from you all, how the comparison of such certification. Which is worth taken.

Thanks You so much

Regard
    Endro Purnomo
    From Indonesia

If you already have CCNA, then CCNA:Security would be the logical next choice. I've taken CEH, and while some of the material is OK, the test itself was indeed "all over the place" ... I would have appreciated it more if it concentrated on fewer tools, and had "sims" or something in it.

As far as Security+, it does contain security fundamentals.

OSCP is expected to be much more difficult than the others, but you will definitely learn more from working toward this one than any of the others (it is an offensive cert).

I hope this helps. Not sure if you want a "logical" step, or if you're looking at trying to become "leet".

Of course, it kind of depends upon your goals, too. Whatever you decide to do, the sooner you decide, the better. There's more financial reward in specialization (wish I'd realized this years ago).

Hope this helps. :D
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    i have passed CEH at 95.33%
    now i am waiting CEH welcome kit
    endrosri wrote: »
    i have passed CEH at 95.33%
    now i am waiting CEH welcome kit

You have performed admirably, and your efforts should be commended icon_thumright.gif
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    EC is notoriously slow with kits and such to the point of making the ISC2 feel quick and nimble.

- beads
  • RajaMohamedRajaMohamed Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I wanna get into security field and am going to join CCNA course..Im not interested in programming languages..which section of security field I should concentrate..please help
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Depends on what you want to learn and what you are interested. Doing the CCNA will give you a good base of the basic Protocols and a good understanding of how Networks work.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja