Options

MTA or MCTS? .NET and Windows Apps

Taking a .NET/C# class this summer and would like to use that foundation to work towards a developer cert when I'm finished. I don't have a computer science background, but have some experience/knowledge with several different languages.

Basically wondering without a CS background or working experience with software development can I jump to the MCTS with enough studying? Or should I get say the MTA in Software Development Fundamentals and then move up to MCTS?

By the way, I want to get into the development side of things, so this will not just be a hobby. I live in Microsoft's backyard so should be plenty of .NET/C# jobs around my area.

Thanks in advance, cheers!
Never stop learning.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    You don't need a CS background to pass MS .NET cert exams, or even to work as a software developer. You do need to have a mind-set for working in software development and the keen interest to do so, even if it means working long, hard hours on software that you do not find interesting.

You really should have 12-18 months working in .NET with C# before attempting the exams. There is no single source of information that will help you prepare for the cert exams, so in addition to "book learning," you will need to draw on your on-the-job experience too. Also be prepared to memorize method names and parameters data types and order. MS still believes in testing for knowledge of things that, as a developer, you would be looking up in the MSDN or Google anyway. (If it's in Intellisense, what's the sense of testing me on it? icon_scratch.gif)
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Hey thanks for the reply! Took me a while to get back on here.

Hmm, so sounds like I need to get some on the job experience before looking into these exams. And I love Intellisense! But yeah I know what you mean, I guess they just want you to put the time in to learn all the different methods and what not.

Gonna try to get into software testing to get my foot in the door and see where that takes me.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I've only taken 2 of the MTA exams so far myself (for classes at WGU).

Personally, I wouldn't take any MTA exam on my own. I'd work towards the next tier certs. With how easy and basic the MTA's are overall I can't imagine they hold any weight, but I could be wrong.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the OS Fundamentals MTA, and it was a perfect entry point to the 70-680 Windows 7 cert. The MTAs are very easy, 30 question tests. Microsoft only uses them for absolute beginners in a certain field (OS, Web Development, Server Admin, etc).
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    kanecain wrote: »
    I took the OS Fundamentals MTA, and it was a perfect entry point to the 70-680 Windows 7 cert. The MTAs are very easy, 30 question tests. Microsoft only uses them for absolute beginners in a certain field (OS, Web Development, Server Admin, etc).

are you saying if you pass MTA windows os that you can pass 70-680?
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No, he isn't saying that at all. He's saying it was good as a starting point for the fundamentals of the 680. The 680 isn't a cake exam. You will need to build on the basics before you pass the 680.