Options

Most common/most in demand Comptia certs?

Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
I understand this depends on which field of computers you want to work with. But which Comptia certs do you think there are the highest demand for? A+ and Network+ are pretty obvious, but what then? Security+ or Linux+? What do you see listed as a requirement on most job postings? I was thinking of getting Server+ after I get my Net+, but there seems to be little demand for it so I might go for Security+ instead, because security is a field I am very interested in and I want to learn more about it.

Comments

• Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think there is more demand for Security+ than Server+ and certainly more than iNet+. I am not sure about Linux+.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    To be honest, I don't see Linux+ being a highly regarded certification anytime soon... Why? Because as we all know Microsoft controls 95% (give or take) of the software market, so Linux is still not as widespread for Linux+ to be really useful. The only time I can see where this statement would not be true is if you're looking for a job that specifically requires knowledge of Linux...

In reality though, even though jobs that do require knowledge of Linux will most likely require other knowledge as well. That is where A+, Network+ and Security+ come into play. Those seem to be the big hitters for CompTIA.

I see certifications such as Linux+ and Server+ as not being very popular or indemand, and therefore being merely additional knowledge that may or may not be useful anytime soon. I have interest in the Linux+ program, but I won't being attempting to get my certification anytime soon. I would rather wait until Linux becomes more popular and more jobs require knowledge of such OpenSource computing technology.

- Joey
  • Options
    int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OpenSource wrote:
    Because as we all know Microsoft controls 95% (give or take) of the software market

That is incorrect. Basically, there are 3 types of computers:

1. PCs
    2. Servers
    3. Embedded

Yes, Microsoft controls 95% of the software market for type 1, but microsoft is a minority in types 2 and 3. Also, there are more computers in type 3 than types 1 and 2 combined.
  • Options
    OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    int80h wrote:
    OpenSource wrote:
    Because as we all know Microsoft controls 95% (give or take) of the software market

That is incorrect. Basically, there are 3 types of computers:

1. PCs
    2. Servers
    3. Embedded

Yes, Microsoft controls 95% of the software market for type 1, but microsoft is a minority in types 2 and 3. Also, there are more computers in type 3 than types 1 and 2 combined.

True, which is why I mentioned the statement below in my previous post...
    The only time I can see where this statement would not be true is if you're looking for a job that specifically requires knowledge of Linux...

Example: System Administrator of non-Windows based servers... Network Administrator of non-Windows based networks... Etc.

That said, keeping the above in mind, refer to another previous statement...
    In reality though, even though jobs that do require knowledge of Linux will most likely require other knowledge as well. That is where A+, Network+ and Security+ come into play.

- Joey
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    After A+ and Network+, Security+ would be the CompTIA way to go. I've never seen Server+ mentioned on any job descriptions, and the LPI seems to the most well-respected, vendor-neutral Linux cert.
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    I don't see any demand for Comptia certs whatsoever.
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    Certs are not really in big demand. What it will do is simply filter you through an interview. Most companies now look for experience and use a certification to choose between the last two choices. A+ would be good just to get started in the IT industry as a technician, I believe. But I've gotten through two tech spots w/o a cert
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    Munck wrote:
    Look on the job boards and you will see reqs that include A+ and Security+ but not any others.
  • Options
    sonicboysonicboy Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    Munck wrote:
    Look on the job boards and you will see reqs that include A+ and Security+ but not any others.
    what about Network+?
  • Options
    sonicboy wrote:
    jdmurray wrote:
    Munck wrote:
    what about Network+?
    Yes Network+ too. Usually CCNA or CNE is the minimum required network cert, but Network+ has become more recognized by employers that also require A+.
  • Options
    lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jdmurray said:

"After A+ and Network+, Security+ would be the CompTIA way to go. I've never seen Server+ mentioned on any job descriptions, and the LPI seems to the most well-respected, vendor-neutral Linux cert."

Although Server+ wasn't actually listed on MY job description, it is a requirement for the HP APS cert. I took (and passed) the 2005 test, and IMO Server+ is a heckuva lot better cert to have than Network+. I mainly work with HP/Compaq servers, but also have to deal with a few Dell and IBM's, and the Server+ studies helped me a lot. I know Security+ is also good (it's probably next on my way), but basic understanding of "new" technology that Server+ covers is important also.

Just a working man's opinion. icon_wink.gif
    Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"