Project Management Cert question

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

I currently work on large scale projects for global companies. The size, processes and some of the methods are quite new to me. So im wondering if it would be worth my time taking the prince2 foundation cert or pmp?

At the moment, i am not looking to become a PM, its rather a tool to help me understand the methods being used, why they are used, how i could manage my elements of the project better, terminology etc.

Would something like Prince2 be worth my time in this instance or is it overkill for what i need? If so, could any of you pm gurus point me in a direction to help me get to grips with these kind of things?

Cheers
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    CAPM comes to mind and/or PMP itself is universally accepted.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    CAPM comes to mind and/or PMP itself is universally accepted.

I think just reading through some project management text books would be your best bet.

If you are set on a certification the CAPM or Prince2 Foundation would good ones to start off with.
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    prince2 would be a good start dealing with european customers.

PMI/PMP is a must for american and many indian companies also the PMBOK 4th edition (5th edition is on the streets in draft form) is a must read for understanding how PMI does things (little bit different than what you would "normally" do and was a bit frustrating for me the first few reads).
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I think just reading through some project management text books would be your best bet.

If you are set on a certification the CAPM or Prince2 Foundation would good ones to start off with.

Your probably right. Sometimes, i just like to have a structure etc to work towards that you get with a qualification.

Thanks for the responses fella's.

If you are looking to make a career in Project Management then start off with studying the PMP Material (Rita & PMBOK). Two advantages that I cam forsee in the near future
    1. Better Understanding of Project Management & your current work
    2. You know the evidence that you need to collect for the work that you are doing of you do decide to go for PMP
    I will prefer PMP over Prince2 as PMP is accepted worldwide, Prince2 only in a few countries. For long term you need to understand PMP methodology in order to break into management or higher levels of the organization.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
    If you are looking to make a career in Project Management then start off with studying the PMP Material (Rita & PMBOK). Two advantages that I cam forsee in the near future
    1. Better Understanding of Project Management & your current work
    2. You know the evidence that you need to collect for the work that you are doing of you do decide to go for PMP
    I will prefer PMP over Prince2 as PMP is accepted worldwide, Prince2 only in a few countries. For long term you need to understand PMP methodology in order to break into management or higher levels of the organization.

I thought both PMP and and prince2 were accepted worldwide? However, PMP had the advantage of being mainly used throughout the US?

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nel that is correct. Almost all of the project management positions in the US prefer the PMP. Prince 2 is relatively an unknown in the US.
    Yup its sad but true, most people treat Prince2 like PMI's poor cousin icon_wink.gif flip side is PMP is accepted both sides of the pond but Prince2 not so much. Worldwide the acceptance of PMP is much more.
    cool, thanks for that guys.

Btw post if you need any help, lots of resources on this forum for PMP. My better half has given the exam once last year but she didnt get through, she is trying her luck once again in August after a lot more prepration. What I understand is that its better to go for PMP before getting into hardcore projects, as if you are already working/managing projects you will need to do a lot of unlearning for PMP.
    Btw post if you need any help, lots of resources on this forum for PMP. My better half has given the exam once last year but she didnt get through, she is trying her luck once again in August after a lot more prepration. What I understand is that its better to go for PMP before getting into hardcore projects, as if you are already working/managing projects you will need to do a lot of unlearning for PMP.

thanks for that mate. i think i'll be looking into this one once ive completed my CCDP. Good PM skills are something i definitely want to pick up.

• universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    if you have any questions feel free to post here and I will attempt to get back to them asap..

i just took the exam on the 16th and passed and now have my PMP...

one word of advice is to get the PMP done in the next 6-8 months. they will be changing over to the PMBOK 5th edition soon, as the draft has hit the streets for peer review and tech editing. lots of changes, but nothing too drastic..

for me, the PMP will help me get out of the job i am currently in and back to a career track i prefer, plus i might be able to make some extra cash as an added bonus!!! icon_cheers.gif

have fun with the CCDP, co worker of mine who is a CCNP said that the CCDP was the hardest exam he has had to take. he actually was suprised to get the passing sign at the end of the exam, because he gave up on passing about half way through it and was just picking answers that looked ok, with not really caring if they were right or wrong..... icon_rolleyes.gif
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green