Taking RHCSA August 3rd

azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hello all,

Wanted to let everybody know I would be taking the RHCSA on August 3rd. I've completed all the classes at my college's RedHat Academy. I also read through Jang's book twice doing all the labs. Still nervous as can be about this test because I don't know what the environment will be like. I'm comfortable working in the cli due to deploying and standardizing the Linux environment at work over the last year or so. I'll let you know after I take the test and when the scores come in.
Currently Studying:
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)

Comments

• lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't worry too much icon_smile.gif

When you look through the exam topics list on the Red Hat website and feel comfortable with everything listed you will be just fine. Remember that man pages are available so even if you are not 100% sure how to do something or what the required command line switch is you can go ahead and look it up.

Hint: Everybody knows "man", not everybody knows "aprospos" which can come in handy icon_wink.gif
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • AceRimmerAceRimmer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It shouldn't be a problem for someone who attended RH Academy courses. RH student workbooks you get on an official course are the most important piece of material you can have to prepare for the exam ;). Jang is second to that, at best. Create a home lab and go by it.
  • QuantumstateQuantumstate Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take earplugs. When I sat for the exam, the genius guy next to me was hammering and banging away on the (cheap) keyboard, and I could not concentrate. I only made it through half the exam and failed. RedHat refused to comp me for a retake, so now I've sued them.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lordy wrote: »
    Hint: Everybody knows "man", not everybody knows "aprospos" which can come in handy icon_wink.gif
    Pssst... the command is "apropos" icon_wink.gif
    Take earplugs. When I sat for the exam, the genius guy next to me was hammering and banging away on the (cheap) keyboard, and I could not concentrate. I only made it through half the exam and failed. RedHat refused to comp me for a retake, so now I've sued them.

Well, you were not there to concentrate but to hammer on the keyboard ;). There's not much time to think and concentrate.
  • log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    You should do great. Hitting the Jang labs twice as well as deployment in your network will both come in handy. Good luck.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck! And let us know how you did. I look forward to take this cert possibly no later than next spring.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I ended up taking some vacation time to lock down and do last minute studying and labs for the exam this Friday. So far I have managed to get homework done for my college classes that is due on Friday. Hopefully I can get some solid lab time in prior to Friday morning. Also found out a colleague of mine is testing at the same time as I am. This will be interesting to see who finishes first and who has the highest score. oh well, back to the grind stone.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    The test is done and now comes the waiting game. Earliest we can expect results is Monday so it is time to relax and spend the weekend with my daughter. It is hard to gauge how I did without the results. I feel confident in the tasks that I completed and am hoping the few I didn't finish don't count too heavily against me. There were 7 people scheduled and 3 showed up. All three of us took the full 2.5 hrs for the test. Even if I didn't pass I still like the way they formatted the test. There is a lot to be said about passing a practical exam over a multiple choice. In the end it comes down to you either know how to do it or you don't.
    Currently Studying:
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    azjag wrote: »
    There were 7 people scheduled and 3 showed up. All three of us took the full 2.5 hrs for the test.
    I hope you get the result very soon and passed. I would love to sit the exam in one of the four absent seats. Why in uname would someone wants to waste $400 bucks?
    Had almost the same experience. I took exam with three other people who had exam (and official RH courses) payed by their companies. 2 of them didn't pass initial task, which enables you to do the rest of the exam. Me and other guy were the only one hammering on the keyboard that day ;).
    Got my results at 3:30 this morning. Looks like I will be taking the test again in a few weeks. The score was close, but not over the 210 mark. Back to the books and labs I go.
    Currently Studying:
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Oh man, the close fail hurts the most... Sorry to hear that, now in retrospect, which topics do you think you likely failed on?
    Sorry you didn't pass. If we can help at all let us know!
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You seem to have a lot of stuff on your plate - CCNA, MSISA and now RHCSA, so you did quite well to score close to the pass mark under the circumstances. I am sure your next shot at the exam will be a bullseye, good luck!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    You seem to have a lot of stuff on your plate - CCNA, MSISA and now RHCSA, so you did quite well to score close to the pass mark under the circumstances. I am sure your next shot at the exam will be a bullseye, good luck!

Thank you for reminding me, I need to update that portion of my profile. I am no longer seeking the MSISA or the CCNA. The CCNA was part of the MSISA program. I have the CCENT which I am content with for the time being. The reason I left the MSISA program is because I didn't feel like it was the right advanced degree for me to pursue. In essence I am taking a step back to gauge where I am and where I want my career to go. Once I decide on that I will find the program that fits and pursue a masters again.
    Currently Studying:
  • log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    better luck next time, practical exams are much harder than written - I'm confident you will do better next time
    I wouldn't call it hard, but practice is essential. And home lab with few VMs and all the needed services (DNS, LDAP, NTP, FTP, HTTP, NFS ...) is verrry recommended. Doing things once on only one VM without every service in place will not do ;). If you have access to official RH course books you can get pretty good feeling of what (and how) will be required.