MCTS and CCENT possible in 6 months?

Commguy23Commguy23 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
I recently got a job offer that is a great opportunity for me. Currently the only cert I have is Security + and the job requires I have a MCTS in server 2008 and Windows 7, also a CCENT certification. They said I could start working, but would have 6 months to obtain all of the required certs. Does this seem like enough time? I am not sure how difficult the certs are, the Security + cert took me a good month of non stop studying. Also, I will be working full time while studying for the certs so study time will be pressed. What do you think? Go for it or wait for another job opportunity and work on certs while I'm waiting.

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    it took me 3 months for the CCENT. And most of it was familiar to me - but I had life issues in the way. I don't know anything about the MCTS.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcts.aspx#tab2

Exchange Server

[TH]Certification
    [/TH]
    [TH]Exam number
    [/TH]

MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, Configuration

Exam 70-2361

MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuration

Exam 70-662

Windows Client

[TH]Certification
    [/TH]
    [TH]Exam number
    [/TH]

MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration

Exam 70-680

MCTS: Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010, Deployment

Exam 70-681

MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration

Exam 70-6201

Im not sure if the MCTS have multiple exams you need to pass to get certified, or it's just a one shot like CCENT (ICND1). I'm sure it's possible, you'll be working your bottom off though :) Nothing like a job for motivation!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Do you currently hold a job? If you do, and you feel the new company is pretty serious about 6-month probation, you should carefully evaluate how feasible it will be for you to get those 3 certs. Whether it is possible to do in 6 months depends on your knowledge and experience.

Now, if you do not hold an IT job, accepting this offer will not hurt. The worst that will happen is that you will get a few months of work experience, some certs, and some money :)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Is it a good job? If so I think you can swing it. Keeping your job is going to be a powerful motivator. Also, I would ask if they will let you study at work, be flexible with your schedule if you want to attend training and if they will pay for any training for you to do this.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Commguy23Commguy23 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been in military training for the past year and headed back home with a low paying hourly wage part time job. It is a huge jump in salary from my previous job, since now I have a clearance. It is a great job as a systems admin, and a great opportunity, I am just worried of not being able to get certified in the time given to me. At the same time, I'll be trying to finish up my bachelors in Networking.
    But Chooselife I like your outlook on it. So the CCENT will be difficult, I will need the MCTS 70-680 and 70-640 and 70-642. I have heard the Microsoft certs are not as difficult, less material to read.
    Also, what are some materials used to study for the MCTS certs? For security + I used the Darril Gibson book and loved it.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    If you have some experience with networks, you can easily prepare for CCENT in about a month. Not sure about 70-640 and 642, but 642 should also be pretty easy.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd say go for it. I mean, hell - what do you really have to loose? You gotta take the bull by the horns sometime and give it hell.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Commguy23 wrote: »
    So the CCENT will be difficult..
    Nope, it's an entry-level certification. Just be sure to both study and practice on real or simulated devices. Cisco is not very forgiving for those with zero hands-on experience.

Budget four weeks if you want to be on the safe side.
  • xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    CCENT is far from easy if you've no network experience, but it can be done in short-order if you put the time in. I got it done in 2 weeks with no experience, but I was studying alot every day (not a crazy amount, but about 5-6 hours) and bought a lab, with a job you could probably get it done in 4 weeks if you study every day. If you can grasp the concepts and you get subnetting down quickly then thats alot of pressure off.

70-642 MCTS is supposedly alot about networking etc, so there will be alot of carryover from CCENT, doing subnetting etc. 640 is supposed to be pretty solid. I'm currently watching some videos on it atm deciding if I want to do MCITP:SA next, but it seems doable in short order also.

I would 100% take the job. Getting the chance to fill a system admin role is a great opportunity for someone starting off, and the experience alone is worth it.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CCENT, 70-680, 70-640 & 70-642 in 6 months while working full time? That's gonna be extremely tough. You'll need to devote all your free time to studying.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Assuming that the topic starter was hired as a system admin, he probably has some experience. Otherwise, why would anyone hire someone for this position without the actual networking experience?
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Can't comment about MCTS.

CCENT is... (gotta be careful on how i word this) "was easy, at least for me" kinda. I had no prior experience with networking.

Why? All i did was watch training videos in my spare time + some lab for fun. This took 2 months; watching 2 sets of training videos. I then took 1 1/2 month break, and when I finally decided to take the test, set apart 3 days for studying books and passed the test quite easily.

You know what? You can just try out the mock exams of those certifications right NOW! just take a look at it to give you an idea. =p
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Commguy23 wrote: »
    I have been in military training for the past year and headed back home with a low paying hourly wage part time job. It is a huge jump in salary from my previous job, since now I have a clearance. It is a great job as a systems admin, and a great opportunity, I am just worried of not being able to get certified in the time given to me. At the same time, I'll be trying to finish up my bachelors in Networking.
    But Chooselife I like your outlook on it. So the CCENT will be difficult, I will need the MCTS 70-680 and 70-640 and 70-642. I have heard the Microsoft certs are not as difficult, less material to read.
    Also, what are some materials used to study for the MCTS certs? For security + I used the Darril Gibson book and loved it.

"huge jump in salary"
    Not sure why you are asking after that comment. Just plan to have NO LIFE for 6 months or less. Any time not at work is study time. NOTHING else.
    You will have it done and over with and on a new path in life.
    Just do it
  • m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    I think that's plenty of time, assuming you spend a few hours a day reading/labbing.

70-642 - 1 month
    70-640 - 2 months
    70-680 - 1 month

That give you 2 months for CCENT.
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had no networking experience as such other than my CompTIA certs before I embarked on Cisco. I managed to do CCENT in 2.5 months and CCNA in about 3 months.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with Dave and most others. Those 3 will be tough, Windows 7 is tough by itself that can take 3-4 months by itself with no experience.

I don't know which one to start with first. I would probably go with Windows 7 and see how much traction you gain.

With that said go for it! It's not impossible and if you can knock out one that will give you a lot of momentum for the others. BTW those are solid certifications to get especially the server one. I'd go for it!

**I just noticed in the beginning of the thread you mentioned a server, a client, and a networking (CCENT) and then in the middle of the post you drop 640 and 642 which would make up 4 certifications. Without knowing you experience it's hard to say, but even with a lot of knowledge that would be tough to obtain. I have a feeling if half way through the process you had 1-2 certifications done and you were working towards another they wouldn't let you go.
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    MCTS is not 70-640, 70-642 and 70-680.

So if you are saying you need CCENT AND the 3 above in 6 months while working fulltime.. not really without having a good grasp on things. I am sure thought you can talk to the employer when the time comes and display what you have done and get an extension. If your job is contingent on these certs, I hope they are paying/allowing you to train on the job/giving you time.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    It is going to be very very very tough to achieve it.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I haven't taken the CCENT, but from the topics covered I think you should be able to knock out the 70-642 after that with some studying. There is some over lapping material, and knowing subnetting will help greatly.