10 Hottest Certifications for 2006

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
CertCities published their Top 10 hottest IT certifications for 2006:

icon_arrow.gifwww.certcities.com/editorial/features/story.asp?EditorialsID=95

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    This list reflects the certs that CertCities.com thinks will grow the fastest in 2006, and show the true future of IT certification. I wish that they'd do a companion list for entry-level certs. The certs on this list are biased towards mid- and high-level IT professionals, otherwise the A+ would certainly be on there. I'd also like to see a top 10 list for software engineering certs. I'll bet the Java programming certs are still more popular than Microsoft's .NET certs.
  • OpiOpi Member Posts: 127
    RHCE on first place, very surpisingly, but nice though..
    Maybe i will go for this certificate one day :)

Greetz
  • OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    That is a little bit of a surprise. Not a single CompTIA certification on there... Everything is Microsoft and Cisco, and two Linux certs... Making me rethink my certification process... I even saw an article about top jobs for 2005 that listed Network Security Administrator making up to or more then $94,750 per year... WoW!

- Joey
  • OpiOpi Member Posts: 127
    yea Security is hot..:)
    Can you put the link to the article here joey ?
  • Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    I wouldn't put too much stock into it OpenSource. Like jdmurray stated this list is biased towards mid to upper level career people and doesn't reflect all of the IT job market. Besides that, the A+ and Network+ are the building blocks for the more advanced certs.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Under Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, the certification exam consists of two parts conducted in a single day. The exam is performance-based, meaning that candidates must perform tasks on a live system, rather than answering questions about how one might perform those tasks.

There's a real cert. You can't use a brain **** on a live system. Maybe MS should take same notes, then MCSE would get its reputation out of the gutter.
    Opi wrote:
    yea Security is hot..:)
    Can you put the link to the article here joey ?

First, I made a mistake, it's actually comparing jobs for 2006 to 2005... Second, I cannot seem to locate the article itself online, but I managaed to get two poor quality (sorry) scans of the article...

The article is from San Fernando Valley (Southern California) "Jobs Magazine", published January 19th, 2006 on Page #37.

Part 1:
    (1362 x 875)
    http://www.panzerkrieg.com/images/misc/img004.jpg

Part 2:
    (3390 x 1926)
    http://www.panzerkrieg.com/images/misc/img005.jpg

[NOTE: I apologize for the quality, especially part two. These images are rather large, I apologize.]

- Joey
    Yet another "Hottest Certifications for 2006" article can be found here...
    http://www.mcmcse.com/articles/certwatch2006.shtml

- Joey
  • MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    I wouldn't consider the article a valid source of information. The have sent a survey to a number of people of their mailing-list, and asked them about which certifications they plan to take i 2006. The fact that RHCE is positioned at number one, just means that most responders planned to take it this year. It does NOT mean anything about it's value etc.

The article is a waste of bytes IMO icon_mad.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I disagree with those who put down this article. I happen to know Becky Nagel for many years and you can trust she has done the proper research (which 'includes' a survey) before putting together this top 10. Just read the listed 'caveats' on top of the article and don't take it as 'your' top 10 written in stone. Hence why I wrote 'their top 10' in my initial post. And as JD mentioned, "this list reflects the certs that CertCities.com thinks will grow the fastest in 2006". That does indeed not mean it will reflect the actual top 10 hottest certs for this year. The article is neither about the 'value' of certs. But nor does it make the article less trustworthy for what it is.
  • WpizziWpizzi Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    But did anyone notice that they listed 9 out of 10?

What is number 5? icon_confused.gif:
    William A Pizzi

Founding Member of RRORC
    www.rrorc.com
  • Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    They said there was a tie at number 4 so in order to list only 10 certs they omit the 5th position. Watch a golf leader board one weekend and you'll see this often.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • WpizziWpizzi Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ah ok...

Well as far as watching a golf leader board that is not going to happen. I would rather be out at my shop working on my truck.
    William A Pizzi

Founding Member of RRORC
    www.rrorc.com