Options

Intelligent network traffic generator

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
Does anybody know of any intelligent network traffic generation software or hardware? I'm looking for something along the lines of SAST (Security Assessment Security Toolkit) that emulates the activities of human users on a network. The traffic generation need not be specifically for security testing.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Scapy's the closet thing that I know of. You're going to have to have some decent Python-fu and put in the work up-front though. You could also use tcprelay to replay tcpdump captures.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Would it be possible to use a couple of VMs and act like a user in them?
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to use a couple of VMs and act like a user in them?

Yes, but I think he wants it automated.

I was also thinking you could use NMAP's NSE. You could either create a shell script that randomly/semi-randomly fires off a script, or you could create your own scripts.
  • Options
    Yeah, I really need a professional system like SAST or LARIAT or an Ixia Traffic Generator that can simulate enterprise-wide traffic. I'd just like to know if there are any alternatives to those.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know this is an old Topic...

However, I'm looking for traffic generators and this was the closest thing I could find.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Yeah, I really need a professional system like SAST or LARIAT or an Ixia Traffic Generator that can simulate enterprise-wide traffic. I'd just like to know if there are any alternatives to those.
    The first professional-grade products that come to my mind are Ixia's IxLoad (more complete, hardware-based) and IxChariot (lower cost, software-based).
  • Options
    I never did find a free or Open Source solution to this. It looks like hardware is needed to really provide the kind of control over traffic generation and monitoring that I needed at the time. Software-only solutions can mimic LAN usage in an office environment, but can't really extend to a good emulation of a corporate (enterprise) network.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find it odd there's not a free script or something that'll generate "real" traffic.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams