Management certifications

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I've asked a question similiar to this but I wanted to readdress it.

First when I say management I mean service, project, operational, functional, team leadership, etc

I'm familiar with ITIL, PMI (PMP, CAPM), ISO 20000 service management.

Other than those 3 what others are available? **This is more of a query for information than anything else.

I'm always looking at options so I an eagerly awaiting some responses. Should managers have a good understanding of security? My initial reaction is not really, unless that manager is managing a security team (access control).

I've started my MBA at WGU and so far it has really filled in a lot of knowledge gaps. I am hopeful this will strengthen my understanding of management and business. (It already has to a certain degree)

Thoughts?

-Patrick

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I hear PRINCE2 is popular in Europe and gaining traction in US.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    N2IT wrote: »
    I've asked a question similiar to this but I wanted to readdress it.

First when I say management I mean service, project, operational, functional, team leadership, etc

-Patrick

People know ISACA for their security and auditing related certs, but it sounds like you want to check into CGEIT. Maybe the COBIT cert as well.

IIRC, Microsoft has a cert for their IT governance methodology, which is basically warmed-over ITIL.

I can't think of any certs for leadership, per se. Closest thing that pops into my head is to go with a graduate certificate in leadership from some top-tier school. Keep in mind, though, that six courses for one of those will cost you more than an MBA from WGU. :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    People know ISACA for their security and auditing related certs, but it sounds like you want to check into CGEIT. Maybe the COBIT cert as well.

IIRC, Microsoft has a cert for their IT governance methodology, which is basically warmed-over ITIL.

I can't think of any certs for leadership, per se. Closest thing that pops into my head is to go with a graduate certificate in leadership from some top-tier school. Keep in mind, though, that six courses for one of those will cost you more than an MBA from WGU. :)

Microsoft Operations Framework
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I do hold the MOF V4 certification, but it's the foundation level. Like you mentioned earlier it's ITIL warmed over. I probably need to add it to my certifications lol

I'll look into GCEIT, Prince 2, and COBIT. The only one I am aware of is COBIT. I downloaded the PDF and read it. It had a lot to do with IT Governance.

After further review GCEIT looks like a great certification to hold. The ISACA website is down due to maintenance, do you know the requirements?
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Don't know the requirements off the top of my head, but I do remember they only offer the exam like twice a year. Next opportunity is in December, if memory serves.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    No rush that's for sure. I have the MBA and the PMP loaded in both chambers not to mention a new job. This maybe one of those wish list items that never materialize but having the options is always a good thing.

Once the site is back up I'll check it out.

Quick question is it in demand?
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with @petedude. Some of the ISACA certifications like CGEIT and CRISC include a body of knowledge that spans most of IT. I'm actually seriously considering the CRISC this December, largely in part because your RMP thread reminded me that I needed some additional focus on risk management. :)

As for you question about if it's in demand - I don't think that CRISC and CGEIT are as well known except among risk and governance professionals. At my job, among risk and security managers, the ISACA certifications are fairly well known and commonplace.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How do you like WGU's MBA program so far?
    @Pete thanks for the follow up

@Paul Glad I can motivate someone to do something :) Good luck on CRISC, I'll have to investigate a little bit more.

@Yuck It's ok but it forces you to put concepts into motion which is good. Knowing the material is one thing, being able to leverage it and utilize it is a whole different story. So overall I am glad to be doing it and feel I get a lot of working knowledge from it. It will help me become a better business professional I have doubt about that.