calling all cisco router guru

jelexyjelexy Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a problem with my router serial interface (wic-1t)

some of you maybe remeber from my earlier post....I've not solve the problem and I don't think I will.

i am trying to connect two cisco 2620 router using back-to-back x.21 dte dce cable (using wic-1t modules).

one of the wic-1t is not working (i think) NO LED and it is always showing as down and down on "show int s0/0" output.

I have bought another wic-1t off ebay and the result is the same down and down. I'm starting to question the x.21 cable ......can this be the problem? how do I know if the cable is not working/good!

for your information

1. I have exchange the wic-1t from router one (R1) to router two(R2) result is always the same down and down (on the faulty wic-1t)
2. on powercycle (reboot) the router I can see that wic-1t is detected

3. show controllers s0/0 output shows detection of both cable ends i.e dte and dce

4. I have used one router wic-1t as dte and another as dce with clock rate of 64000 and the same subnet of ip address 10.0.0.1/24 and 10.0.0.2/24

5. I have changed the frame encapsulation from HDLC to PPP just to check if it work with ppp

please help I'm wasting my time!!!!! should I just **** the hardware idea and focus on the boson sim and attempt the ccna exam instead?????

regards
Jelexy

Comments

• wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Have you tried changing which end it the DTE and which is the DCE, ie change the direction of the cable, does the fault move or remain on the same wic-1t?
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • ciscoguyciscoguy Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Assuming that you are using a crossover cable, Can you post your configs and sh int's for both routers?
  • mostecrydermostecryder Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hmm...first check to see if your WIC card is the same version. There are two versions of WIC-T1. As for the cable, you can make it your self. Go to http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk628/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a754b.shtml

and follow the diagram.
  • forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    hmm...first check to see if your WIC card is the same version. There are two versions of WIC-T1. As for the cable, you can make it your self. Go to http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk628/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a754b.shtml

and follow the diagram.
    He's not talking about a T1 card. He's talking about a serial interface card....WIC-1T.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps3129/products_tech_note09186a00800b0859.shtml

As far as making the cable for it: I know I would not want to mess with trying to put all those wires in a DB-60 connector!
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    forbesl wrote:
    As far as making the cable for it: I know I would not want to mess with trying to put all those wires in a DB-60 connector!

Especially when they are $2.95 brand new on ebay. The shipping costs more than the cable.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i think that is a great idea to look at replacing the cable...

also to add

question i see where u say its detected but always shut down .. next time it boots see if it has an error code.. i have had wic cards detected but due to hardware limitation the card would not function even with the ios that supported it

also i would look at the ios version as well..

then the slot its in

then the wic
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons