Options

What would be the best all around router for my lab?

AintRiteAintRite Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I'm well into to studying for my CCENT and am following what a few members have posted here and which ties into WGU's recommened study course also...

watching supplied videos from WGU (take a ton of notes)
learn subnetting
CBT Nuggets (take a ton of notes)
learn subnetting
read Odoms 3rd edition
learn subnetting
lab, lab, lab

Anyway, I'm going to looking to upgrade a few things on my lab in about a month or two. So this is what I have so far

3 x 1760 (one has 2 x WIC2T WIC-2T and the other two have 1 x WIC2T WIC-2T)
2 x 3550
1 x 2900xl

So here is what I'm wanting to add a console server and it was also suggested that I add another router for frame relay. I have been doing a little research on the 3745 and wanted to know if this one router would take care of both of these needs. Also do I really need 2950 switches, during my limited research on the 3745 I have noticed that the 2950 switches are very common for the labs but is this just because they are so cheap? Thanks in advance.
WGU - BS: IT Security...in progress

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could get a 3745, but that is pretty large. Plus you're going to need the modules if it doesn't come with them.

Personally, I'd get:

Digi CM 32 ($50 used)- Terminal server. Easy to use..set it up in 30 min through a web browser. Also uses regular CAT5.

About any router will work for the FR switch as long as it has the port density. The "easy" way is to get a 2522 ($200'ish..overpriced IMO), or you can get something like a 2600 with a NM-8A ($50 for the NM, maybe $120-$150 for the 2610XM). You could probably even do with a NM-4A/S (like $20-25 on ebay).

Just my $.02.
  • Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    I was lucky when it came to Frame Relay studies. I had access to a couple Adtran Atlas 550s. :p Other than that, my favorite way is to use the Frame-Relay switch option in GNS3 because it's rather simple and quick.

As for hardware, I'm really not good on router price ranges and what's best for the money. I used 1841's supplied by my school for my studies, but I'm pretty sure those a kind of expensive for a home lab, no? Sorry I can't be of any more help.
  • Options
    AintRiteAintRite Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    You could get a 3745, but that is pretty large. Plus you're going to need the modules if it doesn't come with them.

Personally, I'd get:

Digi CM 32 ($50 used)- Terminal server. Easy to use..set it up in 30 min through a web browser. Also uses regular CAT5.

About any router will work for the FR switch as long as it has the port density. The "easy" way is to get a 2522 ($200'ish..overpriced IMO), or you can get something like a 2600 with a NM-8A ($50 for the NM, maybe $120-$150 for the 2610XM). You could probably even do with a NM-4A/S (like $20-25 on ebay).

Just my $.02.
    I also looked at that route too. I was just trying to cut down on the size but if the 3745 is big anyway, it would definitely be cheaper to go the digi/router way.

Thanks for the input both of you.

Ok so after some searching on ebay for the 2600 series are way cheap...30-60 dollars. I guess that will be the way to go. Now to go research what the differences are between the different models of the 2600s.
    WGU - BS: IT Security...in progress