Dealing with this issue

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been going through this for almost 3 years, here's the story:

I interned at an company along with my classmate from a program in 2009. After while I started to slip on my assignments (called in sick, classmate doing my work, mistakes, etc.). At one point, I volunteered to assist my classmate on delivery printer toners throughout the building using belt straps. I delivered the first bunch but due to my lack of experience at the time, I decided to multitask and accidently left the strap on my desk and the Team Lead for the printer came by my desk when I wasn't there and took the strap to my classmate.

So the Team lead for printer support took me into a room and just yelled at me like he was my boss and then when I apologize to my classmate he just arrogantly just told me to go away with his facial expression and hand gesture. After that incident whenever i greet everyone in the morning I get a response except from him, and when I asked for help on doing data migration for a user, he just treated me like a person who never used a computer before.

At that point I felt very low and especially getting yelled at for that mistake. I tried to block it out and not let it get the best of me. And also I feel inferior to him because of his strong communication skills, the success he done at the program and on the site, how do you guys would handle this?

Comments

• MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    I would sit down with him and tell him something along the lines of this:

"Look, I know you are smarter than me when it comes to this stuff and you have a lot more experience. I understand I have messed up a few times in the past and sometimes need assistants with things. The fact of the matter is I am here to do my job and I am trying my best to do it well and get better at it every day. If you can't respect that and treat me with some dignity and respect then we need to take this up to a higher level."

Admitting your shortcomings gets you a lot of respect in my eyes. Knowing what you don't know can be a more valuable skill than knowing what you do know.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Team Lead for Printer Support? I'm out lol. Printers were sent from hell.

Focus on what you can control. You recognize you had a problem with doing your job- so correct it. If you notice a problem, I promise others have too. If you do a 180 and correct the mistake, people will notice.

You can't control what happened- just apologize to your coworker and move on. He will either forgive you or not. Either way, don't let it interfere with your work. You are there to do a job and that is it.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some people you're just not going to get along with. All you can do is do your best to be professional when interacting with them, and not resort to any personal attacks (ie: talking behind their backs, not cooperating with them on efforts because of prior issues, etc).

I will be the first to admit there's some people I just can't stand, but you'd never know it, because I'll work with them just as well as I do anybody else. It's not easy, but you can't let petty stuff get in the way.