WGU without Associates?

santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
I am looking into WGU, I have went as far as applying so far and having my entrance interview. So far from everything I have read here, I am willing to take the plunge starting next year in Jan or Feb. Currently I am 9 classes from my associates degree from Rio Salado College in Tempe, AZ. Those 9 classes are mostly general ED with the exception of BIO100 lab and lecture, a Nutrition class, COM100 and a cinema class. Currently I work at a Fortune 15 company in the CIT Operations department. I want to advance my career by taking the BSIT Network Design class, I do have a sys admin background of 3 years when i worked at this same datacenter in security maintianing their databases, desktop systems and windows environment NAS Server 2003 Server 2008 R2 Clustering etc. My background goes further to when i started my own small business at a young age repairin pc's and making websites for clients, but the school will only care about what i have as far as a job.

Anyways has anyone tried this before?

My plans are such.. Get BSIT Network Design -> CCNA -> ITIL V3 (need this for work will probably get it sooner) -> relax? :P -> more stuff here maybe MS

Comments

• KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    I am enrolled in WGU and about to start my third and hopefully last term. I took seven classes towards an associate degree from my local community college. I had eight classes left but with prerequisites and class scheduling I wouldn't finish my A.A.S. until winter of this year. I transferred in 14 classes into WGU (eight GE classes and six from certifications).

I would suggest since you have a few months before starting to knock out some classes at StraighterLine if you do not have the MCITP:EA yet.
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Thank you for the advice I will check that out!
  • ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    SL is a good idea, they're pretty cheap (ALEKS might also work, would have to check with WGU if they accept). Make sure you look at the list of courses on SL (there's a page that maps them to WGU courses) and only take those that will transfer and you don't already have something that could transfer into it.

Remember, you can only transfer in courses up to your start date, so make sure you time things correctly.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    santaowns wrote: »
    I am looking into WGU, I have went as far as applying so far and having my entrance interview. So far from everything I have read here, I am willing to take the plunge starting next year in Jan or Feb. Currently I am 9 classes from my associates degree from Rio Salado College in Tempe, AZ. Those 9 classes are mostly general ED with the exception of BIO100 lab and lecture, a Nutrition class, COM100 and a cinema class. Currently I work at a Fortune 15 company in the CIT Operations department. I want to advance my career by taking the BSIT Network Design class, I do have a sys admin background of 3 years when i worked at this same datacenter in security maintianing their databases, desktop systems and windows environment NAS Server 2003 Server 2008 R2 Clustering etc. My background goes further to when i started my own small business at a young age repairin pc's and making websites for clients, but the school will only care about what i have as far as a job.

My plans are such.. Get BSIT Network Design -> CCNA -> ITIL V3 (need this for work will probably get it sooner) -> relax? :P -> more stuff here maybe MS

do you already have some certs if not look to knock out the MTAs, CIW and a comptia cert or two. Im doing this and so far I transferred in about 10 classes, I think i can get two more certs before I start in sept 1st.
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
    Please explain this to me, because I keep hearing of people doing it and suggesting it. WHY ARE YOU TAKING CERTS BEFORE WGU IS GOING TO PAY FOR IT? You're not going to get anything done faster, you aren't saving money, you're just spending money that you don't need to spend. Sure, study for the exams, using free resources (IE don't buy books or training). Then take the test as soon as WGU opens it for you (you can do things in any order, just ask your mentor). You can work on more than one thing at a time, so you can have the cert course open and waiting on the test date while you work on another courses projects.

Of course, if you're company is paying for the tests (and you get free training) then go for it. But, other than that, there is no benefit to spending more money.

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
  • gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    Valsacar wrote: »
    Please explain this to me, because I keep hearing of people doing it and suggesting it. WHY ARE YOU TAKING CERTS BEFORE WGU IS GOING TO PAY FOR IT? You're not going to get anything done faster, you aren't saving money, you're just spending money that you don't need to spend. Sure, study for the exams, using free resources (IE don't buy books or training). Then take the test as soon as WGU opens it for you (you can do things in any order, just ask your mentor). You can work on more than one thing at a time, so you can have the cert course open and waiting on the test date while you work on another courses projects.

Of course, if you're company is paying for the tests (and you get free training) then go for it. But, other than that, there is no benefit to spending more money.

upon passing I get reimbursed.. It's basically free.. and good incentive not to fail.
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
    If that's the case, then yeah go for it. It just seems pointless if you're paying out of pocket for the exam (and training materials) when you could just get it for free (or, as part of the tuition you're already paying). If someone else is paying, go for it.

Awesome info guys! I might just take em at wgu since my work will pay for tuition but not study guides etc only certs.
  • KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    I would say try to work on the MCITP:EA now if you don't have it otherwise try to fill in any GE classes you may be missing.

If you only pass three of the server 2008 exams in one term then you are paying 1k per exam.. . The easier exams I would say let the school pay for them.
  • Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250

I was in a similar situation and used The Biology CLEP and a few others to finish off the Associates. I wish I knew about them at the start.
    Valsacar wrote: »

I think one reason could be that it lets you complete the remaining work before the term is over saving you $3k for an additional term.
    Because my work will pay for it im not too worried about how many terms, my concern is if I can get into the school and be able to finish.
    Because my work will pay for it im not too worried about how many terms, my concern is if I can get into the school and be able to finish.

That is a very nice job that will pay $6k in tuition reimbursement a year. Congrats! icon_smile.gif
    Fortune 15, 42k year for help desk.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Luckyass haha.

My job pays 5250 a year so it's 800 out of my own money, which isn't bad at all. My goal is to knock out 13 courses in a year.

I thinking part time job offer 750 for reimbursement, I just gotta check.
  • joberjober Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□

Yes. I start August 1st and am only transferring in a few classes where I started a BS IT elsewhere. I have "some" experience in IT and it was enough to get past enrollment. I am transferring zero certs in. Maybe its the long road maybe not. I hope you go for it and good luck to you.
    Cisc0kidd wrote: »
    I think one reason could be that it lets you complete the remaining work before the term is over saving you $3k for an additional term.

Which you could do, as I said, by studying before hand but not paying for a test that you're about to get for free. Term starts, go straight to the practice tests, pass those (because you've been studying), request voucher, take real test. It would take you less than a week to do everything, and you can do more than one thing at a time.

That is actually an awesome idea!! I got books on ccna and I can study using books 24/7 and skillport at work for some of the others. It would also help me advance my career at my job. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

So how would one study for the general ed classes though??

Looks like im gonna study, sorry youtube your not in my future now :)
    Gen Ed, look at things like MIT's OpenCourseware for similar classes. Those won't be as easy as there will probably be some projects to do, but if you're good on the basics you should be able to blow through it. You can also look at the PDF guide for the degree, it should list some of the resources they use, look for it on books 24/7 and skillport (WGU uses those as well).

I did my CCNA before I started, using skillport, VTE (yes, that's a T, not the braindump VCE crap, I still have access because I'm a DoD contractor) and some borrowed books. I took the test because my company would pay, otherwise I would have just taken it first.

Remember, about 2 weeks prior to starting you'll be able to see the whole course of study for every class, including access the books and see what the tasks are, you just can't submit anything. I had 2 courses done before I was able to officially start. I like to do 2 courses at a time, one "easy" and one not so easy, that way I can knock out the easy stuff and "feel" better about making progress.

• eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I second that, if money isn't an issue and work is going to reimburse you take the easiest certs now (CIW foundations, A+, Net+, Sec+, MTAs) and do any class that can finish quickly. The WGU objective assessments (online tests) can be done pretty quick if you pass the pre-assessment so try to skip those classes unless you think you might have trouble with it).