List four header field types in data link frames

MallowGirl12MallowGirl12 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
List four header field types in data link frames.

I have researched alot about this question, but can not find the right answer,

I think it could be Data, segments, packet and frames , but am not sure , any suggestions??

Comments

• drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    ETHERNET FRAME FORMAT

I'm assuming they're referring to: Preamble, Destination, Source, Length but I could be wrong
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    List four header field types in data link frames.
    There are several ways to interpret this question, unfortunately, which means it's not a very well-written question. Do they mean, "List four header fields that are used in data link frames?" or "List four possible values for the data-link header field 'type'?

In the first case, any four frame header field should be okay. Google "Ethernet frame" or "ATM cell".

In the second case, you might list the etherType values for IP, ICMP, ARP, and STP.
    I think it could be.. segments, packet, and frames , but am not sure , any suggestions??
    Segments exist at the transport layer. I can't think of any interpretation where that's a good answer, since this question was asking about the data-link layer.
  • MallowGirl12MallowGirl12 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are several ways to interpret this question, unfortunately, which means it's not a very well-written question. Do they mean, "List four header fields that are used in data link frames?" or "List four possible values for the data-link header field 'type'?

In the first case, any four frame header field should be okay. Google "Ethernet frame" or "ATM cell".

In the second case, you might list the etherType values for IP, ICMP, ARP, and STP.

Segments exist at the transport layer. I can't think of any interpretation where that's a good answer, since this question was asking about the data-link layer.

hey this is what they mean is to list the four header fields that are used in data link frames , i agree there are too many answers for this one, so don't know which one are the right one.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    hey this is what they mean is to list the four header fields that are used in data link frames , i agree there are too many answers for this one, so don't know which one are the right one.
    Look at the Ethernet header fields, and omit the preamble, start frame delimeter, padding, and fcs. What remains are the four fields needed by most data-link protocols.

That's an extremely safe answer. :)
    Data link layer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    heres a lin of it, that could give us the answers, i think the last information of this page, seems like the answer :) yeah i will :)
    Do you mean this?? http://telecom.tbi.net/frmlan.html ?? i think it has the answer ur implying too :)
    Look at the Ethernet header fields, and omit the preamble, start frame delimeter, padding, and fcs. What remains are the four fields needed by most data-link protocols.

That's an extremely safe answer. :)
    Data link layer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    heres a lin of it, that could give us the answers, i think the last information of this page, seems like the answer icon_smile.gif yeah i will icon_smile.gif
    Do you mean this?? http://telecom.tbi.net/frmlan.html ?? i think it has the answer ur implying too icon_smile.gif
  • FalasiFalasi Member Posts: 115
    adding to what others have said , think this should cover each part of data link frames:
    ipencap.png
    Falasi wrote: »
    adding to what others have said , think this should cover each part of data link frames:
    ipencap.png

Aaah thank you soo much guys and for the diagram too :D Its helpful :)