MSCA study material

Carl21Carl21 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I'm looking to get into Windows Desktop Support, I think the MSCA looks like the best route for me at the moment. I'm just looking for advice on which one I should do , 2003 or 2008?

I will be buying the training material my self rather than going though a company, can anyone give some advice on this? I struggle to just take in information from just sitting and reading books, I would rather the CBT route where you a teacher/video going through the modules with you, is this possible to get online without spending thousands?

I'm haven't done any courses like this before so I feel a bit lost with it all and just looking for some advice if possible..

I've been working on Service desk the last 6 or so years but it's always been Bespoke software, I really want to get into a more windows based role.

Sorry if I've been a bit vague, if you need any more info please ask, hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Carl

Comments

• HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    there is no MCSA anymore by microsoft, There is MCITP: Server Adminstrator which requires like 5 exams
  • Carl21Carl21 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ahh as you can see I haven't a clue at the moment! icon_sad.gif I was looking at this MCSA: Windows Server 2008 Certification before I posted.

I had a look at the MCITP, it listed loads of exams.. (MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals)

Confused! icon_sad.gif
  • prampram Member Posts: 171
    I'd personally complete the new MCSA on Server 2008 if you're looking at staying in Desktop Support. The MCSA Server 2012 is the requisite certificate for the new MCSE in Desktop Infrastructure. I say take the 2008 cert because I'd imagine the study material on Server 2012 is pretty light right now. You can upgrade the 2008 to 2012 later on with one test.

2008:
    MCSA: Windows Server 2008 Certification

2012:
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 Certification

MCSE Desktop Infrastructure:
    MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure
    Thanks, I think I'll probably do that then and start with the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 Certification

I've just found this would could be helpful - Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Training Videos CBT Online Courses - CBT Planet
    So getting the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 Certification will count towards getting a MCITP?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Kind of, Carl21. The MCSA: Windows Server 2008 cert requires 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646. Until mid-2013, earning this cert also earns you MCITP: Server Administrator, until the MCITP series of certifications are all retired. (They won't be retired from your records, they just won't be available to earn anymore, in favor of the new MCSA/MCSE certs instead.)

The MCITP: Enterprise Administrator certification requires exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-680, and 70-647. This means there's some overlap between Server Administrator/MCSA and Enterprise Administrator, but it's not an exact halfway point the way the old MCSA was to the old MCSE, back in the 2000 and 2003 days.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Thanks for clearing that up Slowhand. But now that's really got me thinking if I should go for it or not... if I don't complete all 3 by mid 2013 I would have just wasted a whole lot of time? Do you think it's long enough?
  • HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    oh wow seems like you was right , MCSA was old but they renewed it.
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Carl21 wrote: »
    ... if I don't complete all 3 by mid 2013...
    Only the name MCITP name is retiring along with some exams that makeup MCITP:EA. The 3 exams 640, 642 and 646 are not retiring anytime soon. And as mentioned before those 3 exams will get you the MCSA: 2008, even after July 2013.
    God deserves my best

Ok that sounds good but still a bit confused with that and what you said in your earlier post:
    "They won't be retired from your records, they just won't be available to earn anymore"
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The MCITP: Server Administrator title won't be available to earn, but you'll still be able to pick up the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification because those specific exams aren't retiring. 70-643 and 70-647 are retiring, but that's only because they track specifically to the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator cert, and there isn't a new MCSA or MCSE title to replace it.

Another example is the Windows 7 exam, 70-680; it's not retiring but some of the Windows 7 pro-level MCITP exams are because there isn't a next-generation cert to take their place either. That means you can still take and earn the MCTS credential on Windows 7, but not MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Technician, for example.

For a full listing of the MCITP certifications (and exams) that are retiring, have a look at this page: MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Thanks for clearing that up, you've been a great help! :)

Cheers,

Carl