160k/yr security engineer near twin cities

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Saw this and figured someone may be interested. I have no affiliation to this company.

Security Engineer $160k/yr bonus & benefits

Comments

• m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    Wow! I wonder what kind of responsibility/duties a 160k engineer has? However, given the fact that they want resume mailed to a yahoo.com email address is a bit iffy
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ad wrote:
    Level 3 escalation support to Security administrators and operations personnel
    They're expected to be able to resolve problems that most experienced engineers can't solve.
    ad wrote:
    Must be able to multitask and show progress in a fast paced environment
    And quickly!
    ad wrote:
    Candidate must be able to research, evaluate, architect and document solution well enough to allow Operations staff to administer after deployment and validation.
    And to explain their solutions in terms that L1 or L2 engineers can understand. :p
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I google'd the email address in the ad, and a bunch of really high paying IT jobs came up with locations all over the country. Head hunter?
  • MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    More likely a scam.

"Wow your resume looks great. We require a background check of all applicants before we interview. Just go to %myaffiliatelink% and order a background report and then send it in to us. If everything clears we will bring you in for an interview and reimburse you the cost of the background check at that time."

Lets be real, no one lists salaries in job descriptions that pay over $12/hr and no one uses yahoo email addresses to recruit for six figure salaries.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    They're expected to be able to resolve problems that most experienced engineers can't solve.

Have you ever ran into such a problem? I'm interested to see what kind of problem someone like this takes on. I'm one of about 20 engineers supporting a relatively complex enterprise level network, and we've yet to run into a 160k problem, that we couldn't resolve ourselves! Not to say that we know everything, but I wonder what kind of issues someone like that deals with.
    m3zilla wrote: »
    Have you ever ran into such a problem?
    Sure. I've worked a similar (non-security) role, and in this pay range, too.
    m3zilla wrote:
    I'm interested to see what kind of problem someone like this takes on.
    Your engineers report your L3VPN has reached its limits w/o investing in new hardware. You say, "That's expensive!" They think about it another day or two. No usable workarounds.

The escalation engineer comes in and within an hour IDs the problem is you're using per-prefix labels rather than per-VRF labels. You make the changes. No HW is needed.
    I'm one of about 20 engineers supporting a relatively complex enterprise level network, and we've yet to run into a 160k problem, that we couldn't resolve ourselves!
    The escalation engineer doesn't need to prove he can solve problems your engineer can't. In fact, given a few days, your engineers may have come to precisely the same conclusion! He just needs to prove that he can solve problems twice as fast to justify his salary. That's not hard for someone who's passionate about learning technologies in detail and design/troubleshooting.
    MiikeB wrote: »
    More likely a scam.

Lets be real, no one lists salaries in job descriptions that pay over $12/hr and no one uses yahoo email addresses to recruit for six figure salaries.

Notably, I've never found such a role via Craigslist. :p
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    More likely a scam.
    I think you are right.

I did a quick look around - oh my - Bob Ross gets around. I was able to find a phone number attached to Bob (if he is real) and a web site - check out It Resource Group. I would think that an IT recruiter would realize that "IT" isnt spelled "It".
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Oh, it's that Bob Ross! Didn't he also have a house for rent while he was off in Africa caring for his sick sister? If I recall I just needed to send him 1st, last, and deposit to his temporary address in Africa... icon_thumright.gif
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Definetly fake.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717

Actually, I see that quite often. And yes....even on CL. Not the $160k type though, but 30k-100k typically.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    their probably recruiters baiting people to submit their resume
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Actually, I see that quite often. And yes....even on CL. Not the $160k type though, but 30k-100k typically.

I do occasionally see the salary listed, often with firm fixed price government contracting positions where the salary is not negotiable anyway.
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    HLRS wrote: »
    their probably recruiters baiting people to submit their resume

So does getting with a recruiter help any with getting job offers? My first job right now in IT is at a fortune 15 company where i get paid 42k, but i am asking for in the future when i get more certs and longer experience.
    santaowns wrote: »
    So does getting with a recruiter help any with getting job offers? My first job right now in IT is at a fortune 15 company where i get paid 42k, but i am asking for in the future when i get more certs and longer experience.

Yes but if you want a recruiters help don't find one this way.

The big names in IT recruiting companies are Robert Half Technologies, TekSystems, K-Force and there are a few more. I personally like Teksystems the most. Most of the jobs they will find for you will either be permanent as a subcontractor to a prime, or 6 month to hire where you work for Teksystems for 6 months at the customers site, if they like you at 6 months they CAN make an offer. They could also terminate you or decide to have you keep working for Teksystems.

With most of these arrangements you will get expensive health insurance (I just bought my own for cheaper online) and no paid days off, which means if the customer is closed for a holiday and you cant work you probably arent getting paid for that day.

If you post your resume online the recruiters will find you.
  • xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    I heard The Fonz was on 200k as level 1 support. ;p Fonzie's Amazing Jukebox Powers - YouTube
  • jesseou812jesseou812 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Scam for sure.