Options

Will i be over qualified?

santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
Currently I have about 3 years verifiable experience in IT. the last 8 months in Operations (monitoring alerts and running bridges etc) and the rest at the job prior to this as a contractor in the Security(physical) at the same company. I maintained desktops, servers, windows server 2003 windows server 2008 r2, access databases, cisco switches, dell unmanaged switches and more cameras/dvr software than i want to take time naming. I almost have my associates (9 classes away) and would have it in summer/fall next year if i continue, but i am contimplating putting that on hold and just transfering what i got into wgu and finishing that quickly.

My goal is to finish a BS at WGU, then move on from my job as i work 3rd shift and i pretty much watch youtube all night when its dead for 10 hours or so. I can get alot of studying done during that time and id rather it go towards the end goal than the associates.

I figure 3-4 semesters at WGU (works paying for it so i can actually take my time if i need to) so basically 4.5 years IT experience.

Will i be overqualified with a bachelors and many certs for any jobs?

To throw a bone in the mix, what if i were to switch jobs where i supervised over 3 teams of SAP technicians? would that hinder me or would it look better? I dont want to supervise i would only take that job if it pays alot more than what i make now.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Comments

• Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I am confused. With a degree, certs, and 4.5 years experience will you be overqualified for any jobs? Sure- entry level jobs. Not for mid-level experienced positions though.

I'm just confused by the question- no one is not going to hire you because "gosh darn, he has a degree/certs/experience".
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    +1 to confused by question...
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    santaowns wrote: »
    i work 3rd shift and i pretty much watch youtube all night when its dead for 10 hours or so.

Just tell them this ^^^ when you go in for your interviews...if you are worried about being over-qualified.

PROBLEM SOLVEDicon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Boy oh boy...the questions that come across this board.

You know you can always opt to leave some info out of your resume right? There's no harm in that, it's adding more than you actually have that will hurt you.

If by over qualified you mean that you will know it all and get bored - aim your sights at a higher level job or one with more responsibilities.

At 4.5 years you most likely do not "know it all".

Edit: "My goal is to finish a BS at WGU, then move on from my job as i work 3rd shift and i pretty much watch youtube all night when its dead for 10 hours or so."

How long has that been going on? 4.5 years of sitting around watching youtube is certainly not the same as 4.5 years of actually doing work. Reading that, it makes me wonder if you're qualified for entry level jobs.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Do you have any certs? I think the short answer to your mysterious question is...no you will not be,apply everywhere you can.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    overqualified for what?
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    If you really have 10hrs of down time at work everyday and spend that time studying...You need to make a finish in 1 term thread.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Sorry my question was not clear, I had this typed up once and my token timed out.

Since I want to go into networking and dont have much working experience in that field, other than the one security job. will jobs pass me over for jr admin etc based on having the education and not the exp? Or maybe I am overthinking it as you guys said.

Yes I do have a lot of downtime, I was kinda joking about the youtube thing. I use that time so far to work on my associates so far. I have also been studying using skillport for when I start wgu. I highly doubt I could finish in one term, but two may be possible even without a full associates and 0 certifications.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No - You're not overqualified
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    will jobs pass me over for jr admin etc based on having the education and not the exp?
    With no experience and an online degree, you won't be overqualified for most entry-level positions. You will certainly be underqualified for some, and overqualified for others. That's already true. Only worry if you're underqualified for most of the positions you're not overqualified for. :p
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    To throw a bone in the mix, what if i were to switch jobs where i supervised over 3 teams of SAP technicians? would that hinder me or would it look better? I dont want to supervise i would only take that job if it pays alot more than what i make now.

The title of your thread asks if you are "over qualified". Most of your experience sounds technical; I would be concerned about a company putting you in charge of "over 3 teams". If they do indeed offer you this position, and you don't have much, or any managerial experience, my advice is RUN FOR THE HILLS as it would be bad judgement(on the company's part) to put someone in such a position without the relevant experience.
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    Personally I would finish the term for my current classes and then enroll in WGU. Use that downtime at work to knock out the WGU degree. When the degree is completed or close to it I would look for other job opportunities.

I wish I used my free time at work better in the past. I did knock out some certs but I also wasted a good chunk of time not studying for anything.