Passed 70-270 today 30-07-2012

mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
A bit strange that someone is celebrating passing the 70-270 at this day and age but I have just passed it today. Passed it with 860 but I am just happy I passed.

I had been out of IT Support for a while and the company I am working for currently still uses XP and I already have the Vista certificate but it would not count for my MCSA because it was an upgrade of the MCDST (621 exam) so I could either do the Vista exam which I dont use a lot or the Windows 7 that I have never touched till last month when I bought a new laptop.

I now need to do the 290 and 291 because I already have the books and genuine software to build my lab and then I will do the upgrade exams after that.

Comments

• gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    what do you already have a mcitp in? Your vista MCTS counts as a elective under the MCITP:EA track. you could just start working on your MCITP..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    what do you already have a mcitp in? Your vista MCTS counts as a elective under the MCITP:EA track. you could just start working on your MCITP..

Yes I already have MCITP but I want so much to be an MCSA then MSCE because that is what most recruiters know. I am planning on doing MCSA 2003 then upgrade to 2008 then upgrade again to 2012 then do the MSCE 2012 exams so that I do no waste too much time on 2003. I will do the 2003 so I can get a feel of Server OS and I am sure the rest of the exams I will need to focus on the new changes.

My company still uses Win 2000 Server even though they have all the software required to upgrade to 2008 they just have never allocated a time to do it so thats why I think it is still worth having 2003 + 2008 + 2012 because you will be surprised the number of companies you will walk into still using old Server OS.

@Dakinggamer87 - thanks
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Haven't the 70-290/291 exams been retired ?

[aahh ok - they retire in 2013]
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Zorodzai he has until July 31st, 2013 before those exams are retired.

Microsoft Learning: Certification Lifecycle
    God deserves my best
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    pizzaboy wrote: »
    @Zorodzai he has until July 31st, 2013 before those exams are retired.

Microsoft Learning: Certification Lifecycle

Cool.......so I actually have time to do those as I am far more comfortable on 2003 than 2008 [no Zoro, focus. SQL 2008 - don't get distracted now !!]
  • noflyingcarsnoflyingcars Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation on your pass!

I'm trying to do the 270 and 290 as well because these two were explicitly requested by a company I'm trying to get a job at. Later they'd have me do the new ones.

Quick question, do they ask anything about the OSI model in either of these two exams?
    Do you just need to know practical solutions or do they even ask you the theory of the OSI? I understand it when I read it but I just can't memorize it!
  • mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulation on your pass!

Quick question, do they ask anything about the OSI model in either of these two exams?
    Do you just need to know practical solutions or do they even ask you the theory of the OSI? I understand it when I read it but I just can't memorize it!

Thanks,

I am not quite sure about the 291 but all I know is in the 270 you will not be asked about the OSI although you will definitely be asked about troubleshooting network connectivity. The 291 is a network exams so I am guessing you will need a very good understanding of the OSI and which devices are in each layer.