Study routine

CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
what is your study routine for the day, week or for the month? can you share it? :)

Comments

• xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    When I did ICND1 and 2, I did them in about 2 weeks each. I wasn't working so I had alot of time. I didn't have a very set study routine, but I generally did stuff in this order.

Days 1-2 Watched whole CBT nuggets video series for general overview of topics.
    Days 3 till start of 2nd week - I'd watch INE video series on each topic for a more indepth view, then i'd read Wendell Odoms chapters for the most detail on the topics. I wouldn't read all of wendells book, but i'd skim through the stuff I already knew and study the parts I didn't. I'd pay particular attention to troubleshooting in the material.
    Days 7-11 - I would start reviewing all topics again, but this time i'd do labbing along the way too (have 3 routers/2 switches in home lab), making sure I knew all the troubleshooting, memorizing commands etc. I'd also be going over the videos and book again on areas I wasn't sure about. Looking at exam objectives to make sure I covered everything.
    Days 11-14 (test day) - I'd basically concentrate on these days to get bosons exam-prep questions done. These were probably the longest days, as i'd also be going back to areas I was weak on in the bosons test.

I'm not going to say that's a perfect routine, but it worked for me. I didn't do much other than study or sleep during the period but I would make sure to get out for a run on beach every day.

I didn't make any study notes as I did it in a fairly short period of time. I didn't really need them because I had so much time, instead of study notes, I would just watch the whole videos from cbt/ine on the topics again or i'd read the odom's chapter. If I was working or taking longer to do the tests, then I would definitely make study notes, as reading full chapters of Odom's book everytime you needed to brush up on stuff would make me suicidal. There's also plenty of study notes other people have drafted if you search the forum, but I think the process of actually making the notes is as important as having the notes in the end.
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Damn, that's a lot of time in a short window. =O I wish i had that kind of "time off"

Unfortunately, I already have a job and just can't dedicate so much to my studies. That plus I get distracted easily as heck...

Anyway, for me my progress is a bit slower.

- Watch videos
    - Watch another set
    - Review everything on paper
    - Move on to the next topic
    - After all topics are done, I'll go over practice exams.
    - Review topics that i'm not as familiar with.

That's about it~

Lately time isn't on my side =/
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I have a rather simple less structured approach.

For example.

Read Chapter the book chapter + Supplement what ever CBT video that is relevant to the book chapter to iron out any confusion that the book created - visa versa

I also do what ever labs I am weak on are totally confused by. For lab studies I have a rather odd technique that I use especially once I know all required labs. I create like a raffle ticket system.. I write down all labs like "VTP" "STP" "Router-on-a-Stick" etc, and cut up the names and put them in a cup, and when I want to lab I shake the cup and which ever one I grab is the lab I do. Granted this is my technique once I know everything, and I am just plain tired of doing the same ole labs over and over.

I pretty much stick with the above process all the way through. I will also read multiple copies on the same subject. I believe for CCNA I read the Cisco Books+Sybex+Exam Cram+Chris Bryant. Once you read that many books on the same subject you kinda start understanding.. lol
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    I agree with getting more than one resource/book/video of a given topic. Finance-permitting, that is.

Often times what is lacking from a specific publisher might be just what you need on another publisher.

For example:
    In my opinion, I always found Jeremy Ciora (CBT Nuggets) to be more entertaining, full of energy, and just makes me excited about the topic + want to do labs. On the other hand, Chris Bryant (Trainsignal) is more akin to how a professor would teach. Well structured and detailed in trying to cement your fundamentals.

I signed up on INE to watch to their CCNA bootcamp that they are now offering for free. Haven't really started watching... heard good things about it though.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    xbuzz wrote: »
    When I did ICND1 and 2, I did them in about 2 weeks each. I wasn't working so I had alot of time. I didn't have a very set study routine, but I generally did stuff in this order.

Days 1-2 Watched whole CBT nuggets video series for general overview of topics.
    Days 3 till start of 2nd week - I'd watch INE video series on each topic for a more indepth view, then i'd read Wendell Odoms chapters for the most detail on the topics. I wouldn't read all of wendells book, but i'd skim through the stuff I already knew and study the parts I didn't. I'd pay particular attention to troubleshooting in the material.
    Days 7-11 - I would start reviewing all topics again, but this time i'd do labbing along the way too (have 3 routers/2 switches in home lab), making sure I knew all the troubleshooting, memorizing commands etc. I'd also be going over the videos and book again on areas I wasn't sure about. Looking at exam objectives to make sure I covered everything.
    Days 11-14 (test day) - I'd basically concentrate on these days to get bosons exam-prep questions done. These were probably the longest days, as i'd also be going back to areas I was weak on in the bosons test.

I'm not going to say that's a perfect routine, but it worked for me. I didn't do much other than study or sleep during the period but I would make sure to get out for a run on beach every day.

I didn't make any study notes as I did it in a fairly short period of time. I didn't really need them because I had so much time, instead of study notes, I would just watch the whole videos from cbt/ine on the topics again or i'd read the odom's chapter. If I was working or taking longer to do the tests, then I would definitely make study notes, as reading full chapters of Odom's book everytime you needed to brush up on stuff would make me suicidal. There's also plenty of study notes other people have drafted if you search the forum, but I think the process of actually making the notes is as important as having the notes in the end.

I like this study routine, I will try this out if time permits. anyway is Todd lammle ccna Study guide and cbt nuggets videos enough for review?
  • ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just watch CCNA INE or train signal video and you will pass easy. If you watch cbt nuggets just read the cisco documentation to fill in the gaps that jeremy leaves out. No need to read boring long books.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^^^ Just laughed out loud at that username.
  • ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was serious about my post though.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find reading the chapter better than watching. Afterwards, just bullet and condense what was said. Sometimes it's long winded - I know.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CaptainL wrote: »
    what is your study routine for the day, week or for the month? can you share it? :)

What ever gets me traction for studying each and every day.

I haven't figured it out but I try everyday. So far, this is what I have used with good to below average results.

Getting CCENT objectives on Excel spreadsheet and tracking progress(just in < 1 day..GREAT vibe for accountability if nothing else)
    Testout.com Ccna (good result, got me going initially and doing command line stuff integrated into quizzes) only finished like 20-30%
    Cisco ICND1 (got the newest hardback but havent got into it although i have read the first 5 chapters before on older versions)
    Sybex CCNA 2011 Read first few chapters and Routing
    Sybex CCNA Review Read ch1
    trying to signup for classes but they cancel if they don't have enough students like the last time.
    Gonna try to knock the CCENT out before class IV in fall so I can ramp up for ICND2

I haven't put it all together in a day to day like many above but I like xbuzz, stthompson86 and mapletune's ideas above