Experience..

glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been trying to get a new job ever since I got my Net+ a few weeks back. I currently make $10/hr with no benefits for the county gov doing computer support stuff. But everything I have looked at requires 3-5 years experience. Am I stuck with help desk for another 2 years? I signed up for onforce which will hopefully help me out...anyone ever been in my boat before?icon_cry.gif
A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    glenn_33 wrote: »
    I've been trying to get a new job ever since I got my Net+ a few weeks back. I currently make $10/hr with no benefits for the county gov doing computer support stuff. But everything I have looked at requires 3-5 years experience. Am I stuck with help desk for another 2 years? I signed up for onforce which will hopefully help me out...anyone ever been in my boat before?icon_cry.gif
    It's less a matter of years, and more a matter of when you buckle down and increase your education and/or certifications, to meet the entry-level requirements of most tech jobs.
    I just pulled these from the first "step-up" ads I spotted in your area--
    • #1 - Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, engineering, or other related field, or equivalent work experience, plus a minimum of 2 years experience supporting Microsoft technology applications. MCSE desired but not
      required.
    • #2 - Minimum of 3 to 5 years hands on network integration and installation experience. Other skills and experience that would be a plus: MCITP-EA certification or MCSE (other technical certifications desired)
    • #3 - Education: Bachelor of Science; Certification: CCNA; Experience: 2 years
    • #4 - At least 5 years experience
    • #5 - BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent. Cisco CCNA, CCNP, or other applicable vendor certification. No experience requirement.
    The trend should be obvious. The more you invest in your education and/or certifications, the less experience is required to be in-demand in the industry.
  • glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kind of makes me wish I went to college...
    glenn_33 wrote: »
    Kind of makes me wish I went to college...
    It's never too late, mate. A degree helps at all levels in the tech field. And certainly earning one of the in-demand entry-level certifications is faster than college.
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Be aggressive.

Just because it says 3-5 years experience doesn't mean you shouldn't apply if you meet the technical requirements. If you don't meet the technical requirements, get there. See if you can get involved in some of the higher level work where you are at. Self-study for some certifications. Just because you don't have a degree doesn't mean you can't be successful. Don't let that be an excuse as to why you aren't where you want to be.

If you feel the only thing holding you back is a degree- then go for it.

And of course others have been in your boat. I was there before too. I simply did a lot of self-training and attaining skills on the job that allowed me to progressively attain better and better opportunities. If I had a degree, would more doors be opened for me? Absolutely and I admit that 100%. But I am making really good money and am comfortable where I am at (esp with a kid on the way). Will I get a degree eventually? Yes. But I also know there are other ways to increase your value and marketability.

Good luck :)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
    It's never too late, mate. A degree helps at all levels in the tech field. And certainly earning one of the in-demand entry-level certifications is faster than college.

Yea, I know I know...In the past year I've paid off a lot of debt and the only thing I have now is my car which will be paid off soon. If I go back to college I'm worried that I'll have more debt icon_rolleyes.gif
    Be aggressive.

Just because it says 3-5 years experience doesn't mean you shouldn't apply if you meet the technical requirements. If you don't meet the technical requirements, get there. See if you can get involved in some of the higher level work where you are at. Self-study for some certifications. Just because you don't have a degree doesn't mean you can't be successful. Don't let that be an excuse as to why you aren't where you want to be.

If you feel the only thing holding you back is a degree- then go for it.

And of course others have been in your boat. I was there before too. I simply did a lot of self-training and attaining skills on the job that allowed me to progressively attain better and better opportunities. If I had a degree, would more doors be opened for me? Absolutely and I admit that 100%. But I am making really good money and am comfortable where I am at (esp with a kid on the way). Will I get a degree eventually? Yes. But I also know there are other ways to increase your value and marketability.

Good luck :)

Thanks!
    I think the affordable thing would be continuing with certifications...I'm a firm believer things sort of fall into place. I guess I just hit a rough patch for bit..
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Have you looked into WGU? It is very affordable. Many here recommend it. But you need to have the discipline to self study at home. I believe it is only like $2900/6 month term.

I can afford to pay cash upfront, but I know when a kid almost here I wouldn't be able to focus and probably wouldn't have the ability to manage school, a new job I am starting, and a kid all at once.

If you decide to go that route, just make sure you understand it will require commitment from you to study/test at good pace on your own.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    You should follow your net+ up with CCENT, then CCNA while your net+ knowledge is fresh.

Just apply to jobs even if you don't have the experience. If the HR department think you're not qualified enough, you won't get an interview, so leave the choice up to them.

You're already doing some IT work, so it's not like you have totally no experience. The only sure thing, is that if you don't apply for the job, you'll never get it.