Passed CCNA:Security 640-554 today

bomber456bomber456 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
Passed this exam this morning, was a bit tougher than I was expecting. But a pass is a pass :)

Now what to try next :)

Comments

• camomancamoman Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrads! I say maybe another Security cert..CISSP?
  • bomber456bomber456 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm thinking about the CCNA:Service Provider, since I work within that area of networking. I was going to get the CCIP but, that's all now being retired and replaced withe CCNP:Service provider, and the CCNA version is the prerequisite for it!
    Just hope there;s enough study material available for it :)
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Congrats!
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    Congz. I thought 640-554 will be available after September. so you took the new version? how was it ?
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    bomber456 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about the CCNA:Service Provider, since I work within that area of networking. I was going to get the CCIP but, that's all now being retired and replaced withe CCNP:Service provider, and the CCNA version is the prerequisite for it!
    Just hope there;s enough study material available for it :)

Congrats! Unfortunately I don't think there's anything in regards to study guides for the SP track... kinda miffs me too. I want to get it since I work for an ISP and it aligns with my current career path.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
    GOZCU wrote: »
    Congz. I thought 640-554 will be available after September. so you took the new version? how was it ?

Yeah you can take the new exam now. I had a course with work, so did the newer version. Lots of CCP.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great work! I just received my 640 554 book, this looks like a great start to entering the security side of things.

Question for you: Did you use a lab at all? I'm considering buying an ASA 5505 appliance, but it's more costly than the lab devices I'm used to purchasing. So I'm not sure if I'll pull the trigger or not. What do you think?
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Congratulations! I just started the Official Cert Guide today. Hoping to knock it out by the end of the year. I am curious as to YFZblu's question as well, how much did you lab in preparation, and what kind of equipment/sims did you use? Thanks, keep it up!
  • Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    See if any vendor neutral security certification interests you. Something like SSCP.. Its should be quite easy for you and will be a good addition in your CV.
    YFZblu wrote: »
    Great work! I just received my 640 554 book, this looks like a great start to entering the security side of things.

Question for you: Did you use a lab at all? I'm considering buying an ASA 5505 appliance, but it's more costly than the lab devices I'm used to purchasing. So I'm not sure if I'll pull the trigger or not. What do you think?

I had a week long Cisco course in work with remote access to a Lab containing a ASA5505, 2960, 1811 and a server etc. The labs were pretty useful.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
    Bomber,

What type of labs were on the new exam? Thanks!

Mike
    A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
    B.S. - Computer & Network Security
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^ Yeah, that would be a violation of NDA.
  • Rens-Rens- Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi bomber456 !

You said 'Lots of CCP', what kind of questions ? Did you have something like a CCP simulator where you can navigate ? Or multiple choice questions ?

Thanks in advance,
  • sandrenesandrene Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Each exam is different. Be familiar with CCP, I had several type of questions about it. I also had a few questions that built upon my CCNA knowledge but wasn't necessarily part of the study material. Fortunately I just obtained the CCNA in August, but if it's been awhile since you've taken it/used the knowledge from it, anyone taking the exam may want to brush up on the parts that overlap/coincide with CCNA Security objectives.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for the input on the CCP. I spoke to a training company I was working with and originally they said to keep using the 553 material, as the CCP wasnt really tested. I knew that was incorrect and let them know and they sent out the 554 book.